• B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D
    • F

Now that the season is over for the major sports that are not played on ice, how does everyone feel the teams performed in their first year of DI?

Here's my take:

Football

C+

For me, it was a bit of a disappointing season for my favorite football squad. Despite a winning record and the fact that they competed extremely well in virtually every game, I was rubbed the wrong way quite bit by the home loss to SUU, a team that we destroyed on the road the previous season. And although they are certainly a quality team, I felt we should have won against Southeastern Louisiana. I was also a little peeved by the fact that we let the score get so close against Idaho St. after handling them so easily for the first 35 minutes of that game. On the positive side, I was thoroughly impressed by Josh Murray, he is definately a DI running back. The OT win down in South Dakota was one of the most impressive clutch performances I have seen. All in all I feel it was successful season, winning the games we were "supposed" to win and notching 2 DI victories. I just felt they let a couple games slip away that were well within reach.

Men's Basketball

B-

I have to say that I was dreading this season. I hoped/expected alot, but realistically I didn't think this team would do nearly as well as it did. Finishing 16-12, the guys had their first winning season since 2004-05. Despite some head-scratching struggles early on, Coach Jones (for the second straight season) had his team playing its best basketball at the end of the year. We took DI wins from Missouri-Kansas City, South Dakota, Seattle, and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.....and had respectable showings against more DI squads like Northern Colorado, Wichita St., and Texas A&M. Obviously I didn't like the struggles against the DAC schools, or the blowouts against Wisconsin-Green Bay, Montan, or Northern Iowa. But the bottom line is, that this team won the games that it was expected to, and even snuck out a few extra wins that were considered surprises.

Women's Basketball

B+

I think the women had a great season. They by far and away played the toughest schedule of any of our newbie DI programs, and they handled it pretty well. They went undefeated at home. They racked up 11 wins against DI schools (established and transitional) and nearly pulled off a couple more against Ball St. and Big 10 school Northwestern. They did suffer two really lop-sided losses, but they were to very good teams in Iowa St. and Wisconsin-Green Bay. I either watched or listened to almost all of their games, and I can confidently say that Keira Kimbrough was the best basketball player on the floor in each of the games we played. I think the future is bright for women's basketball at UND.

Now that the season is over for the major sports that are not played on ice, how does everyone feel the teams performed in their first year of DI?

Here's my take:

Football

C+

For me, it was a bit of a disappointing season for my favorite football squad. Despite a winning record and the fact that they competed extremely well in virtually every game, I was rubbed the wrong way quite bit by the home loss to SUU, a team that we destroyed on the road the previous season. And although they are certainly a quality team, I felt we should have won against Southeastern Louisiana. I was also a little peeved by the fact that we let the score get so close against Idaho St. after handling them so easily for the first 35 minutes of that game. On the positive side, I was thoroughly impressed by Josh Murray, he is definately a DI running back. The OT win down in South Dakota was one of the most impressive clutch performances I have seen. All in all I feel it was successful season, winning the games we were "supposed" to win and notching 2 DI victories. I just felt they let a couple games slip away that were well within reach.

B-

I pretty much agree with you, but since unlike the basketball teams, football had a new head coach which made going dI even a bigger challenge, I gave them a slightly better grade. The defense needs to get far more consistent if we're going to start hopefully replicating the type of success at the FCS level that we enjoyed over the last 15 years or so as a dII program.

Men's Basketball

B-

I have to say that I was dreading this season. I hoped/expected alot, but realistically I didn't think this team would do nearly as well as it did. Finishing 16-12, the guys had their first winning season since 2004-05. Despite some head-scratching struggles early on, Coach Jones (for the second straight season) had his team playing its best basketball at the end of the year. We took DI wins from Missouri-Kansas City, South Dakota, Seattle, and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.....and had respectable showings against more DI squads like Northern Colorado, Wichita St., and Texas A&M. Obviously I didn't like the struggles against the DAC schools, or the blowouts against Wisconsin-Green Bay, Montan, or Northern Iowa. But the bottom line is, that this team won the games that it was expected to, and even snuck out a few extra wins that were considered surprises.

B

My expectations were extremely low for this year. I was disappointed that we were unable to add a transfer to be a stop-gap measure in the post until the red-shirts start playing, but given the limited size and talent of this year's team, I think they achieved all that they possibly could have.

Women's Basketball

B+

I think the women had a great season. They by far and away played the toughest schedule of any of our newbie DI programs, and they handled it pretty well. They went undefeated at home. They racked up 11 wins against DI schools (established and transitional) and nearly pulled off a couple more against Ball St. and Big 10 school Northwestern. They did suffer two really lop-sided losses, but they were to very good teams in Iowa St. and Wisconsin-Green Bay. I either watched or listened to almost all of their games, and I can confidently say that Keira Kimbrough was the best basketball player on the floor in each of the games we played. I think the future is bright for women's basketball at UND.

B+

It was a good year, and in reality I think that a number of the losses probably would be wins if the games were played now. It took some time to get used to the increased speed of the game, but by the end of the year this was a very solid team, even with only using a seven-person rotation. Finding another post in the Kleinsasser/Crouse/Boll/Langen/Kimbrough mold will be a key to the continued progression of the program. The perimeter looks pretty good next year.

B-

I pretty much agree with you, but since unlike the basketball teams, football had a new head coach which made going dI even a bigger challenge, I gave them a slightly better grade. The defense needs to get far more consistent if we're going to start hopefully replicating the type of success at the FCS level that we enjoyed over the last 15 years or so as a dII program.

B

My expectations were extremely low for this year. I was disappointed that we were unable to add a transfer to be a stop-gap measure in the post until the red-shirts start playing, but given the limited size and talent of this year's team, I think they achieved all that they possibly could have.

B+

It was a good year, and in reality I think that a number of the losses probably would be wins if the games were played now. It took some time to get used to the increased speed of the game, but by the end of the year this was a very solid team, even with only using a seven-person rotation. Finding another post in the Kleinsasser/Crouse/Boll/Langen/Kimbrough mold will be a key to the continued progression of the program. The perimeter looks pretty good next year.

Football: B

The depth or capability were lacking at some key positions (LB, OL) when Lennon left. This coming year could be difficult - but after that UND ascends. From a financial standpoint, paying enough for key coaches to come here (and stay) may be major hurdle. Also, where's the indoor practice field.

Men's basketball: B+

Jones is building for the long-term. With the youth next year, it will be difficult. Patience.

Women's basketball: B

The women seemed to revel in the challenge, instead of getting frustrated. That's a key. Do wish the recruiting geography would expand a little more - or get some of those Iowa State recruits from Minnesota.

Adding a few more:

Women's Hockey: A- Not really new to DI, but New coach, good direction

Swimming: A Signficant accomplishments in CUSA swimming meet. Future score depends on new coach.

Volleyball: B+ Could be much better than imagined if this new coach takes play up a notch and recruits

Soccer: D Too much coaching turnover - hopefully changing

T&F, CC: D ? Of all the DI sports, seems the most neglected. Is a coaching change needed here?

Baseball: B+ Surprisingly, recruiting seems excellent. Coach seems to have a lot of energy.

Softball: D+ historically poor DII progam - hopefully changing with new coach, aggressive recruiting

Golf/ Tennis: No idea

Lacrosse: F :silly: (still waiting! )

Coaching Decisions by Faison: Approaching A+

Presidential Support: A (Kelley seems to have a major interest in progress)

Patience/Support by fans: B - Great with exceptions of BringDeanBack types

Facility upgrades: D The Betty, Ralph, and Al are first class. Where's the practice facility?

Media: C- Relative to the DII level, can't the FSSN be expanded?

Scholarships: B+ Sports like baseball/softball seem much less handicapped by scholarship limits

Reaching out-state alumni: C Seems to be happening among letterman, but not generally

Conference: D Waiting for 2011 - ???