SiouxSports.com Forum

Homers in the Media

Matt

To pick up from the discussion on the recruiting thread, homer announcers used to bug me for years until Dan Patrick started playing the "Homer call of the Week" on his radio show. It was then I realized it wasn't just PA or Ed Schultz or Scott Miller. Its most of them. I think the voice of any team has become, and perhaps rightfully so, more of a marketing arm of the team than an objective reporter like they used to be. Now, let's be real here, even back in the old days when the announcer was as stoic as your Norweigian grandfather, they still had a great time with the team behind the scenes. But that's where it usually stayed, or they were derided as a "homer". It wasn't considered professional. I'm not pining for the old days here, but I've noticed too often this year during Vikes games PA was actually trash talking the opposition when they would make a turnover or a penalty. The danger in that is the VOX (as PA describes himself), can simply get too close to the team and act as part of it, when they are not.

Well after Virg Foss' garbage column in today's Herald it's apparent that rag definitely doesn't have any UND homers on it's editorial board. It has to be one of the most idiotic things I've read recently. He misses the long ago rivals of the NCC, yet doesn't seem to realize that most if not all of our true rivals had moved to Division I. It would be nice if the Herald would occasionally write a positive article about the Division I move instead of ripping UND every chance they get. Unfortunately since the Forum's purchase of that newspaper it's become utterly unreadable.

Well after Virg Foss' garbage column in today's Herald it's apparent that rag definitely doesn't have any UND homers on it's editorial board. It has to be one of the most idiotic things I've read recently. He misses the long ago rivals of the NCC, yet doesn't seem to realize that most if not all of our true rivals had moved to Division I. It would be nice if the Herald would occasionally write a positive article about the Division I move instead of ripping UND every chance they get. Unfortunately since the Forum's purchase of that newspaper it's become utterly unreadable.

Agreed, someone at the Herald should say, "Sorry Virg, we are not going to print your dribble."

This article was not beneficial to anyone. Someday, sooner than later, even the people who write this stuff will say that the DI move was probably the right move. In the meantime, I wouldn't allow these types of editorials in my paper right now, it is just counter productive.

This current year is the most difficult of UND's transition year, and all of the sudden, Foss is ripping it? No starters anywhere were recruited for DI, and we're supposed to be doing well? I've always been of the "have a conference/have the money" opinion, but once the transition starts, turning back (to the NSIC? !!!) would be the biggest disaster ever. A DI move can't be judeged for at least five years, and more likely ten, depending on the program. Virg, get a tiny bit educated before you start blasting the panic button.

Homers in the media made me think back to the 1960's when longtime Fargo sportscaster Jim Adelson would make his weekly football picks. The story goes as I remember it was that Adelson picked the Sioux to beat the Bison to motivate the Bison. The Bison won the game and one of the Bison players was going to confront Adelson about his pick. The Bison player had to be told that he did it for us. This is what I remember but I could be wrong.

Did the media play a role in NDSU winning national championships and not UND? The media in North Dakota has always been centered in Fargo.

What I'm talking about is the bowl games played by both schools in the 1960's and early 1970's.

From 1964 to 1972 four regional bowl games were played that led up to a wire service poll to determine the final champion of D2's predecessor, the NCAA College Division. A playoff series was started in 1973 to determine the D2 Champion.

From 1965 to 1972 NDSU played in 4 bowl games wining all of them. The media voted NDSU national champions in 65,68 and 1969. UND played in 2 bowl games 1966 and 1972 winning both and were not voted national champions.

What role did the Fargo media play if any in NDSU winning mythical championships and not UND? But I do not have any idea what media voted back then. And it doesn't hurt to have the media in your back yard.

Homers in the media made me think back to the 1960's when longtime Fargo sportscaster Jim Adelson would make his weekly football picks. The story goes as I remember it was that Adelson picked the Sioux to beat the Bison to motivate the Bison. The Bison won the game and one of the Bison players was going to confront Adelson about his pick. The Bison player had to be told that he did it for us. This is what I remember but I could be wrong.

Did the media play a role in NDSU winning national championships and not UND? The media in North Dakota has always been centered in Fargo.

What I'm talking about is the bowl games played by both schools in the 1960's and early 1970's.

From 1964 to 1972 four regional bowl games were played that led up to a wire service poll to determine the final champion of D2's predecessor, the NCAA College Division. A playoff series was started in 1973 to determine the D2 Champion.

From 1965 to 1972 NDSU played in 4 bowl games wining all of them. The media voted NDSU national champions in 65,68 and 1969. UND played in 2 bowl games 1966 and 1972 winning both and were not voted national champions.

What role did the Fargo media play if any in NDSU winning mythical championships and not UND? But I do not have any idea what media voted back then. And it doesn't hurt to have the media in your back yard.

From 1965 to 1972 the Bison played in five bowl games, not four. The Bison came out on the short end of the 1967 Pecan Bowl, losing 13-0 to the University of Texas at Arlington. In addition, in 1964, the Bison won the Mineral Bowl played in Missouri, giving the Bison a 5-1 bowl record from 1964 through 1972

From 1965 to 1972 the Bison played in five bowl games, not four. The Bison came out on the short end of the 1967 Pecan Bowl, losing 13-0 to the University of Texas at Arlington. In addition, in 1964, the Bison won the Mineral Bowl played in Missouri, giving the Bison a 5-1 bowl record from 1964 through 1972

Thanks for correcting me and responding to my post. My main point was about the Fargo media. I wonder if any one

who played on one of those 2 Sioux bowl teams has any thoughts about not being voted National champs. Did they feel cheated?

Maybe there isn't much you can say.