SiouxSports.com Forum

Newberry College

jimdahl

Newberry faces long road to building a winner, reports South Carolina's The State. I don't think I'm breaking the secret that Newberry does not have the most competitive athletics programs.

They're trying...

"The crux of the problem is that they haven't had anybody sitting where I am for 3-5 years," said Carter, who was hired in August after four years as athletics director at Missouri Baptist, an NAIA program in St. Louis. "I've made a commitment to be here and get this thing figured out. This is a great opportunity for Newberry to say, 'We're going to stop trying to just get by.' "

In less than a year Carter and president Mitchell Zeis have implemented a plan that can increase athletic revenues by more than $1 million; added six coaching or administrative positions and upgraded two others; and infused the program with new direction and energy.

But...
Newberry hasn't won a football game in its conference since 2000 and considers 2,500 fans a good crowd ... but the school couldn't survive without its athletics program.

"We have 750 students and about 250-275 are athletes, do the numbers," Carter said. "(Athletics) is vital to our survival. The best form of raising dollars here is to recruit more athletes. Our first level of fund raising is making sure we've got a full college of students.

Re: scholarships...

Newberry divides 25 among 130 football players

What is not mentioned is that Newberry is affliated with Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. It appears they are in worse shape then say Dana College in Blair Nebraska. Roger Thomas being a good Lutheran probably offered a good guarentee, and this trip will be good for kids playing on the field. The talent down in the South East is abundant, and they could surprise the Sioux. You never know, but I dont think so.

The fact that Newberry is classifed D2 in NCAA, makes them probably a more worthy opponent then say Augsburg, St Olaf, Concordia-Moorhead or Gustavas Adlophus who are D3 ELCA affliliated schools.

I dont think UND will have any problem putting this game away.

It is hard to gauge Newberry. They lost to NDSU's first opponent Tusculum 24-7. The yardage was more dominant than the score 501-117. Newberry did play some tough teams, Wofford, Carson-Newman, Catawba. If you look at the bottom of the NSIC, the Division II label doesn't always mean better. Concordia-Moorhead D-III leads Moorhead St D-II 45-23-12 in their all-time series.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopes high for Newberry with new coach, transfers, from Charlseton Post and Courier.

Defense is perhaps the biggest question mark, with five returning starters from a team that gave up 35 points and 400 yards per game last season.

Newberry returns 10 of 11 starters on an offense that averaged 13.5 points per game. But Willis has been impressed by returning quarterback Brian Shealy, a 6-3, 210-pound junior, and DeShon Rodell, a 5-5, 172-pound redshirt freshman from Allendale who rushed 21 times for 187 yards in the Indians' spring game.

Although Shealy was the quarterback coming out of the spring game, he won't be able to relax with junior transfer Mazzie Drummond pressing him hard in Newberry's new no-huddle spread offense. Drummond was a freshman starter at The Citadel before leaving the Bulldogs and going to Pikeville. During the spring game, Drummond ran for 68 yards and two touchdowns. He is one of four players who originally signed with Division I schools who have ended up at Newberry.