SiouxSports.com Forum

a look back and a look ahead

UND92,96

This Herald article contains a lot of good information.

Interesting info, but a few questions:

-- Is it me, or does Mussman sound unneccessarily pessimistic going into the off season? Shouldn't we at least hope to be competitive with "the Northern Iowa's" in recruiting? UND has solid academics, excellent sports facilities, financial commitment and a tradition of D2 success to sell. New recruits will be playoff-eligible, I believe, by their junior year. Granted, UNI is a perennial FSC power and a member of strong conference with fine facilities of their own, but last I checked, we're 1-0 vs the panthers on the field in modern times.

-- This is at least the second off-season I've read about the potential of Chris Anderson at WR. To my knowledge he's yet to see the field. He was injured his senior year in high school two years ago. I think I saw him in street clothes on the sideline all of this year as well. Will he be healthy enough to play? (Also curious about the progress of Drew Daggett, who played at least on special teams.)

-- Mitch Goertz and Brad Kelley were highly regarded recruits, I believe, at LB. Mussman has spoken highly of walk-on Jay Nelson from Wheaton. Kasowski and Cochran return. No "impact" linebackers among them?

Interesting info, but a few questions:

-- Is it me, or does Mussman sound unneccessarily pessimistic going into the off season? Shouldn't we at least hope to be competitive with "the Northern Iowa's" in recruiting? UND has solid academics, excellent sports facilities, financial commitment and a tradition of D2 success to sell. New recruits will be playoff-eligible, I believe, by their junior year. Granted, UNI is a perennial FSC power and a member of strong conference with fine facilities of their own, but last I checked, we're 1-0 vs the panthers on the field in modern times.

I interpreted Mussman's comments as meaning if there's a comparable offer to a kid from UND and a post-season eligible program, UND's chances go down "a little bit." That's probably accurate more often than not. But UND does have some advantages as you pointed out.

-- This is at least the second off-season I've read about the potential of Chris Anderson at WR. To my knowledge he's yet to see the field. He was injured his senior year in high school two years ago. I think I saw him in street clothes on the sideline all of this year as well. Will he be healthy enough to play? (Also curious about the progress of Drew Daggett, who played at least on special teams.)

-- Mitch Goertz and Brad Kelley were highly regarded recruits, I believe, at LB. Mussman has spoken highly of walk-on Jay Nelson from Wheaton. Kasowski and Cochran return. No "impact" linebackers among them?

I suspect Mussman was meaning that there are some solid players returning, but we need some real difference-makers along the lines of Digger, Schmidt, O'Neel, etc. Maybe there just aren't any of those types of players in the program right now. I also wonder if Fonseca is still an option? There was some talk of him not red-shirting, but as far as I know he was never on the sideline this year. I can only speculate that there may have been some eligibility issues?

I suspect Mussman was meaning that there are some solid players returning, but we need some real difference-makers along the lines of Digger, Schmidt, O'Neel, etc. Maybe there just aren't any of those types of players in the program right now. I also wonder if Fonseca is still an option? There was some talk of him not red-shirting, but as far as I know he was never on the sideline this year. I can only speculate that there may have been some eligibility issues?

For UND's 3-4 to be really effective they have to have a great pass rusher at OLB coming off the edge and I'm not sure if anyone in the program fits that mold right now. UND needs another Stroup/Dahlen/Schmidt type player that can both rush the passer and make plays in space. I'm guessing that this is the type of JUCO LB they are looking at.