SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux iPhone Application

AussieSiouxFan

Is there anybody out there that is capable of making an application for the iPhone 3G that follows Sioux Hockey.

I really have an awesome vision of how the application would work and have no luck creating it. There is way to much complicated code and crap involved and i have no experience creating anything on a computer.

the application would include:

Live Scores of Fighting Sioux Games maybe with a link to the box score or even play by play

Link to this forum to quickly read and post topics about the Sioux

Page for the latest news articles on the sioux (rss feed)

Page for the latest blog entrys about the sioux (rss feed from goons world, UND Hockey, Sioux sports talk etc.)

Page for team Schedule and results

Page for League standings and statistics

It would be one awesome iPhone application and i would use it ALL THE TIME and i know all of you with an iPhone would use it to.

Can someone out there create this or know someone that can, it would be awesome!!! :)

My goal for SiouxSports.com has always been to create a collecting place and aggregator of everything about the Sioux. To that end, everything you listed BUT the play-by-play (for which there's no good Internet data source) should already be available.

Though it's targeted at less capable devices, there has even been a mobile Internet version of the site since 2000. I've avoided optimizing for the Blackberry browser (which seems kind of stopgap), but I've definitely worked on making sure the site works on iPhones via Safari, and consume it that way myself.

There are always changes brewing (the next revision should replace the menu bars with something more iPhone-friendly), but if there's something in particular that you think would improve the mobile experience, just drop me a note and I'll be sure to add it to the list!

My goal for SiouxSports.com has always been to create a collecting place and aggregator of everything about the Sioux. To that end, everything you listed BUT the play-by-play (for which there's no good Internet data source) should already be available.

Though it's targeted at less capable devices, there has even been a mobile Internet version of the site since 2000. I've avoided optimizing for the Blackberry browser (which seems kind of stopgap), but I've definitely worked on making sure the site works on iPhones via Safari, and consume it that way myself.

There are always changes brewing (the next revision should replace the menu bars with something more iPhone-friendly), but if there's something in particular that you think would improve the mobile experience, just drop me a note and I'll be sure to add it to the list!

Yeah SiouxSports.com works fine on the iPhone but i was thinking more along the lines of an application where all the info that i stated above is available in one place and only one click away rather than going through various links and menus to get to the desired page. All the info would come from SS.com but just cut out the larger bits of detail that come with a full web page and get straight to the info wanted (RSS Feeds can do this). i have created links to the web pages on my iphone but it is all still run through safari but i was hoping to have an app where i can do this all in one place rather than having 6 different pages running at once. i dont know if anyone can picture what i am picturing but it would be sweet.

ive read on the net that creating such an application is easy if you have a little experience, but i have none so my chances are slim. i have tried and failed but i am still going to continue to learn and hopefully get it dont by the time the season starts. but if someone can do it easily that would be a lot faster and save me stuffing around trying to learn about all this development crap. :)

No question, our web page menus definitely aren't particularly iPhone friendly. Flatter navigation should return soon... However, I do see your point about the extra clicks. Having to launch Safari and find the right bookmark is a few more clicks than just having a "Sioux Sports" icon that you click (even if the underlying application is really just a combination of RSS feeds and web pages).

My initial reaction was that the hockey page was designed specifically to meet the precise information aggregation need you're noting -- feeds of news, blog posts, forum posts, and scores of interest to Sioux hockey fans all in one page. Though the web page is a device-neutral, universal solution, an iPhone-specific application is a slightly different way to bundle it that could be better optimized to the screen (e.g. less zooming and panning).

I'll give it some thought, but lest I stifle creativity, I certainly encourage others to respond to the challenge and innovate in ways of delivering Sioux information! I love to see new ideas; make a cool way to deliver information about the Sioux, and I'm happy to promise you a link and a fair amount of resultant traffic. :)