SiouxSports.com Forum

Greetings from Davis

AggieFinn

Greetings from Davis!

Looking forward to seeing the showdown this October. I think it'll be a solid game for both squads because it'll be later in the year when the polish is starting to show offensively.

I'm curious how UND looks as it transitions to FCS for 2008. Specifically, I'd like to hear about y'alls weapons on offense, how the Offensive Line is looking for 2008, and what defensive stars are returning for the Sioux.

Nothing like a rekindled matchup! See you guys in D-town! :)

By the way the UC Davis board is here: AggieSportsTalk.com

Feel free to start your own topics we love conversation from somewhere besides the Sac Valley.

Greetings from Davis!

Looking forward to seeing the showdown this October. I think it'll be a solid game for both squads because it'll be later in the year when the polish is starting to show offensively.

I'm curious how UND looks as it transitions to FCS for 2008. Specifically, I'd like to hear about y'alls weapons on offense, how the Offensive Line is looking for 2008, and what defensive stars are returning for the Sioux.

Nothing like a rekindled matchup! See you guys in D-town! :)

By the way the UC Davis board is here: AggieSportsTalk.com

Feel free to start your own topics we love conversation from somewhere besides the Sac Valley.

Thanks for the link. I am excited to be a part of a conference with you and Poly, I think UND, USD and you guys are leagues above the other members of the Great West. It is only a temporary conference for us, I assume the same for you guys.

Welcome AggieFinn!

I hope to see the Sioux play one road game this year and would love to visit California in October but if it works out I will likely make the trip to Carbondale and watch the Sioux kick former Coach Lennon in the nuts (figuratively...not literally)...but I digress.

???

New head coach...loss of star receiver to CFL/graduation...loss of star defensive back due to CFL/graduation...loss of star running back due to academic ineligibility...loss of star (?) linebacker due to inability to obey the law of the land...other than that we are good.

:)

BTW...no disrespect meant towards former Coach Lennon (wear a cup).

AggieFinn

I stopped by AggieSportsTalk.com last night. I would describe the board opinion of the GWFC becoming the GWC as less than positive. In fact...the majority of posters seemed to indicate that they wanted out.

What's your opinion?

AggieFinn

I stopped by AggieSportsTalk.com last night. I would describe the board opinion of the GWFC becoming the GWC as less than positive. In fact...the majority of posters seemed to indicate that they wanted out.

What's your opinion?

UC Davis is a large, long standing university, and we need a prime conference to be a part of. Obviously, here at Davis, football isn't king in the sense that it controls the budget, because it doesn't. The fact we're so diversified in our men's and women's sports and so strong academically is the only reason we aren't in the WAC right now. I think this forming of the GWC is for the benefit of all the 'other' schools involved and not us. We'll be out of it soon enough, but for right now we have to suck on it. I am not a fan of the GWC as a whole, the GWFC was fine for what it was to the universities involved, but now it has just exploded in a bad direction for UC Davis.

UC Davis is a large, long standing university, and we need a prime conference to be a part of. Obviously, here at Davis, football isn't king in the sense that it controls the budget, because it doesn't. The fact we're so diversified in our men's and women's sports and so strong academically is the only reason we aren't in the WAC right now. I think this forming of the GWC is for the benefit of all the 'other' schools involved and not us. We'll be out of it soon enough, but for right now we have to suck on it. I am not a fan of the GWC as a whole, the GWFC was fine for what it was to the universities involved, but now it has just exploded in a bad direction for UC Davis.

I fail to see how the GWC affects Davis at all. They're not in it. Somebody tell me what I'm missing.

UND and USD hope to get out of the GWC after their transition. Why do you care if a bunch of independents get together for a few years and borrow the name of your football conference? Particularly a football conference where any one of the members would leave in a heartbeat if a different conference invited them?

Edit: After reading your board, it appears the answer to my question is that you are embarrased about having to share a name with the newbies. :) Us backward folk are moving in...there goes the neighborhood! ???

I fail to see how the GWC affects Davis at all. They're not in it. Somebody tell me what I'm missing.

UND and USD hope to get out of the GWC after their transition. Why do you care if a bunch of independents get together for a few years and borrow the name of your football conference? Particularly a football conference where any one of the members would leave in a heartbeat if a different conference invited them?

Edit: After reading your board, it appears the answer to my question is that you are embarrased about having to share a name with the newbies. :) Us backward folk are moving in...there goes the neighborhood! ???

I agree with your hypothesis.

Not only backwards, but stupid also, apparently :huh:

Here is my feeling of the Great West Conference as an All-Sport conference. I think that it is good in that it adds stability to are two new football members, UND and USD, during their transition which I hope adds stability the the football part of the conference. What I wish is that they would have given it a different name. The Great American Conference sounds more fitting. The Great West Football Conference has built a great name for itself in the FCS community. I do not see being associated with New Jersey Institute of Technology and the University of Texas Pan Am as a benifit to the football conference. What would it hurt UND if they were in the GWFC for football and the Great American Conference for the rest of their programs?

Here is my feeling of the Great West Conference as an All-Sport conference. I think that it is good in that it adds stability to are two new football members, UND and USD, during their transition which I hope adds stability the the football part of the conference. What I wish is that they would have given it a different name. The Great American Conference sounds more fitting. The Great West Football Conference has built a great name for itself in the FCS community. I do not see being associated with New Jersey Institute of Technology and the University of Texas Pan Am as a benifit to the football conference. What would it hurt UND if they were in the GWFC for football and the Great American Conference for the rest of their programs?

I don't think it would have hurt anything.

I don't know who decided on the name for the GWC, but I doubt it was at UND's insistence. I read somewhere that the AD for NJIT did not like the name (for obvious reasons) and Ed Grom said that they may re-visit the name at a later date.