SiouxSports.com Forum

Two Great Goalies! Go Lincoln (Sioux) Stars!

amn5hol

http://www.journalstar.com/sports.php?story_id=43838

Two-goalie plan works for Stars

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa -- The two-quarterback system rarely works in football. It's like going steady with two people in high school.

It doesn't work. It can't work. You can't have two lead sled dogs and you can't have two chefs in charge.

The two-goalie system in hockey, if anything, has an even worse reputation.

But the Lincoln Stars rode the thick leg pads, huge gloves, big sticks and great understanding of two goalies to the Clark Cup on Tuesday night at the Mid-America Center.

In Game 4 of the USHL championship series against the River City Lancers, Philippe Lamoureux gloved, blocked, stopped and stymied the home team for all but one of 36 shots on goal.

The Lancers scored a short-handed goal to tie the game in the second period, but an instant later the Stars answered on a short-handed goal by David Backes.

Lamoureux finished with the best goals against average and the best save percentage of goalies in the playoffs.

He barely edged teammate Nate Ziegelmann in both categories. They were that close in the key statistical categories for the season, also.

Lamoureux finished 22-7 in the regular season and 3-0 in the playoffs. Ziegelmann finished 15-7 and 5-1.

"We got the best of two great goalies," said Stars head coach Steve Johnson. "When one guy got hot, he played. When he cooled off, the other guy got a chance. It worked that way all year and it worked that way in the playoffs."

Stars assistant captain Ryan Potulny said the two-goalie system was never a problem.

"It might have made them a little crazy, but we knew it was best for the team and it looked like it was best for them," he said.

Ziegelmann started the first two games of the championship series. He was the hottest goalie coming out of the earlier rounds.

After the Stars posted a victory in the first game, the Lancers roughed up the Stars and got a 2-0 win. That brought in Lamoureux, who was in charge the last two games.

"It was my turn and I wanted to make the most of it," said Lamoureux, who played against Ziegelmann in youth hockey and a wild rivalry between their two high schools in Grand Forks, N.D.

"Sure, I would have loved to finish out this series, but Philippe played, and he played a great game tonight," said Ziegelmann, who is probably headed to North Dakota for college hockey next year. "I don't know what I would have done; the point is he played great, we won and that's all that matters."

You mean no bitterness? No personal rivalry?

"We used to play on opposite teams, rival teams, and when we came here, we were on the same team, and that's what mattered," Lamoureux said. "To have both of us playing made me better, and I think it made Nate better."

Johnson said there was no doubt the Stars were the beneficiaries of the two-goalie system.

"I'm sure one guy wanted to be the guy, but we were better because we had two good goalies and we used them both," he said. "I think it kept them on edge in practice, and I'm sure one of them would have loved to play 45 games. But we had the day-to-day battles to see who would start and nobody got too comfortable.

"They can relax now."

But only for a little bit. Lamoureux will probably end up at North Dakota, too.

Will North Dakota use both goalies equally?

"I don't know, but they could be competing for the job for a long time from now," Johnson said. "We found it was a pretty good thing."

• 2 weeks later...

So should I assume that Blais has pulled his scholarship offer to Sedevie?

http://www.journalstar.com/sports.php?story_id=45928

Stars get Topeka goalie

BYMARKDEROWITSCH / Lincoln Journal Star

Just in case Philippe Lamoureux decides to leave a year early, Lincoln Stars coach Steve Johnson put in a backup plan Wednesday.

Johnson doesn't want to begin the season with two inexperienced goaltenders should Lamoureux end up at North Dakota this fall, and now he doesn't have to worry about it after acquiring Layne Sedevie in a draft-day trade with Topeka.

The Stars acquired the two-year United States Hockey League veteran goalie, along with forward Adam Bartholomay, in exchange for two draft picks.

Sedevie went 22-10-2 and posted a 2.62 goals-against average for the ScareCrows before missing the final six weeks of the season because of a neck injury.

Lamoureux is scheduled to return to Lincoln next season, but North Dakota wants the goaltender to start his college career a year sooner than planned. Lamoureux signed a national letter of intent with the Sioux for the 2004-05 school year.

"With North Dakota continuing to pursue Phil, this was a deal we had to make," Johnson said.

Johnson knows all about Sedevie. Two years ago,the Stars coach tried to convince him to come to Lincoln, but the Bismarck, N.D., native signed with Sioux Falls instead.

Last season with Topeka, Sedevie was leading the USHLwith 22 wins when he was injured during a collision with Lincoln's Ryan Potulny at the Ice Box. Sedevie hit the crossbar, and stretched some ligaments in his neck. He sat out the rest of the season.

"He's fine now," Johnson said.

In Bartholomay, the Stars pick up a forward who scored 18 goals and 38 points for the ScareCrows last season.

The Stars then bolstered their offense even more during the draft, selecting North American Hockey League forwards Hank Carisio and Aaron McCloy with their first two picks.

Carisio, who played for Springfield, finished third in the NAHL with 67 points in 56 games, and also racked up 110 penalty minutes. McCloy had 41 points for Capital Centre.

"Hank's a bigger, skilled kid who is also hard-nosed and aggressive," Johnson said of the 6-foot-2 Carisio.

The Stars addressed some needs at the blue line before the draft. Late Tuesday, they signed defensemen Nick Tuzzolino, from Buffalo of the Ontario Provincial Junior Hockey League, and Garrett Raboin of Detroit Lakes, Minn., to a tender.

Tuzzolino stands 6-6 and weighs 222 pounds, and is more of a stay-at-home defensemen. Raboin is more offensive-minded. He scored 37 points in 23 games as a high school senior.

"Nick's a big defenseman, something we got by without last year," Johnson said. "That's an element you'd like to have in front of the net."

Other players the Stars drafted were:F Alex Leavitt, University of Wisconsin; DJim Jorgensen, Soo Indians of the NAHL; FJared Boll, Team Illinois; DBrett Tyler, Boston Jr. Bruins; FChris Tarkin, Williams Lake of the British Columbia Junior Hockey League; FMatt Greene, B.C. High,Boston; DTrevor Ludwig, Texas of the NAHL; FTommy Mannino, Leamington, Canada; F Sidney Crosby, Shattuck-St. Mary's, Faribault, Minn.; FJimmy Russo, Cushing Academy, Boston; FNick Biondo, Cleveland of the NAHL; and GTat Watson, Boston.

Each USHL team is allowed to protect up to 30 players until July 1, when rosters must be cut to 23.

It's good to see that Blais is working the offseason to make the team better. I wonder if Sedevie is still slated for later?

If Lammy comes, won't that make 6 "Grand Cities" kids and 8 ND kids on the team? That's fantastic!

Go Sioux

That is a very interesting article. Also very interesting in there are comments about other Lincoln draft picks. I know drafting a guy in the USHL doesn't mean that these guys will ever play there, but interesting names nonetheless.

Alex Leavitt - he'd help the Lincoln offense rebound from losing Potulny, Irmen and Backes, wouldn't he?

Sidney Crosby - gotta give Johnson props for taking his chances. What if: Crosby is thinking college. Would a year in the USHL be the next best step over playing the midget schedule?

Trevor Ludwig - A name familiar to Sioux fans. Wonder where his twin brother is going?

If Lamoureux comes this year ( I really really really hope he stays in Lincoln) and Ziggy walks on, how many goalies will UND have? Is someone going to get cut? How many goalies can one team carry? Wouldn't it be better to have an extra Fwd or D? What's the roster limit/player dressed limit? While Layne's a good goalie, I'd rather keep Phil another year, Layne turns 21 in Jan, I believe under NCAA guidelines if he plays past 21 he will lose a year of eligibility. Is he still planning on going to college or did he decide against it since Blais pulled the offer? Or does that stop the clock since he did/does have an offer? Sorry I'm asking so many questions but I'm not as familar with the College rules as some other people might be

I can't answer all your questions, but I can correct you on one... Laynes birthday is April 8, 1983, not January. He will have to go to school, like he should have been doing last year, to stay eligible for college hockey. Also I believe you can play past your birthday if you are enrolled full time in college. You just can't start the season and already be 21. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe there will definately be a couple of goalies cut this fall. Not sure who, just depends who works hard in the off season.

From what I understand, if you play ANY junior hockey after your 21st birthday you automatically lose a year of college eligibility. Therefore if Layne Sedevie is planning on going to college and playing his freshman year he cannot play in the USHL after Jan. 18 2004. All of the information I have found lists Jan. 18 1983 as his birthday:

http://www.topekascarecrows.com/stats/rost...r_frameset.html

I love Lamoureux, but he still needs to work on his game before he is ready to play for the Sioux. He needs to improve his strength and work on his glove work. I think it is in Lammy's and the Sioux's best interests to go with the initial plan and have him play another year in the USHL.

From what I understand, if you play ANY junior hockey after your 21st birthday you automatically lose a year of college eligibility. Therefore if Layne Sedevie is planning on going to college and playing his freshman year he cannot play in the USHL after Jan. 18 2004. All of the information I have found lists Jan. 18 1983 as his birthday:

If you insist on not believeing me about his birthday check out http://members.aol.com/cheisenber/Recruit03.htm. APRIL 8, 1983.

I just finished playing junior hockey and I turned 21 in February. I am going to a be playing college hockey this fall. I went to a junior college and took 13 credits the second semester.

Why can't you believe this!!!!:blush:??!!!!!

Siouxperfan is correct about player eligibility after turning 21.

A player can turn 21 during the USHL season as along as his birthday is after December 31. Now, in order to maintain all 4 years of college eligibility, a player turning 21 during the year has to be a full-time colllege student for at least one (1) semester. If you are not taking classes and turn 21 and continue playing, then you will lose one (1) year of college eligibility.

However Layne Sedevie's birthday is Jan. 18. 1983

Layne's Bio