SiouxSports.com Forum

New ND State High School Hockey Tourney Ideas

Matt

I haven't thought about this too much, so maybe there isn't a better way, but should any team have to play a team for a fourth time to win a state title? Three times is understandable, you have to do that to become a section champion in MN. What about eliminating the conference tourney and direct seeding every team in the state? Hold early round games at big rinks around the state. Instead of an eight team state tourney, maybe hold a frozen four at the Ralph. I don't know, but four matchups is just a lot.

Keeping the girls tournament separate from the boys would be a good idea until girls hockey has more time to develop...it's an emabarresment right now...

Honestly, you put it a little harshly, but I do agree.

As for Minnesota girls hockey, they have quite a bit of developmental programs and a lot of competition that goes into their programs. Although I know the ND Girls teams put a lot into it, I find it's more of a nuissance to accomodate for girls' hockey when the skill level is not up to par. Many of the players I have seen didn't start playing Hockey until high school, whereas many boys players around the country that start at ages of 4-5 years old can struggle making their high school teams, not to mention the varsity program. In honor of the amount of work and the bearing hockey has to get to the boys' varsity level, and being competitive, I find it only fair that the Boys' retain a seperate and full state tournament, as it has been in the past. Splitting the state tournament into Boys' and Girls', while also taking more than half of the games and placing them in a non-equal facility as they have been in the past seems demeaning to the game. Yes, promote girls' hockey and make it a better program, but do not do so at the expense of the Boys'.

It's hard not to seem harsh towards the girls', and I mean not to. I just find it unexcusable to have State in Grand Forks every year, if they are not going to use the Ralph Engelstad to its full potential and purpose.

Otherwise, I find that the Boys' bracketology is fair to the state as a whole, and don't see the need for a change to it.

Honestly, you put it a little harshly, but I do agree.

As for Minnesota girls hockey, they have quite a bit of developmental programs and a lot of competition that goes into their programs. Although I know the ND Girls teams put a lot into it, I find it's more of a nuissance to accomodate for girls' hockey when the skill level is not up to par. Many of the players I have seen didn't start playing Hockey until high school, whereas many boys players around the country that start at ages of 4-5 years old can struggle making their high school teams, not to mention the varsity program. In honor of the amount of work and the bearing hockey has to get to the boys' varsity level, and being competitive, I find it only fair that the Boys' retain a seperate and full state tournament, as it has been in the past. Splitting the state tournament into Boys' and Girls', while also taking more than half of the games and placing them in a non-equal facility as they have been in the past seems demeaning to the game. Yes, promote girls' hockey and make it a better program, but do not do so at the expense of the Boys'.

It's hard not to seem harsh towards the girls', and I mean not to. I just find it unexcusable to have State in Grand Forks every year, if they are not going to use the Ralph Engelstad to its full potential and purpose.

Otherwise, I find that the Boys' bracketology is fair to the state as a whole, and don't see the need for a change to it.

The other thing that didn't help was that the Sioux were at home. This also prevented more games from being played at the REA. Not defending, just saying. Other years that the Sioux have been home, there were games held in the Olympic rink at REA. In my opinion, Purpur is a better rink to watch hockey than the Olympic rink for the fact that there is little to no seating in the Olympic rink. Again, just saying and just my opinion.