SiouxSports.com Forum

NCC mvp?

UND92,96

Who's the frontrunner? I'm going to say Ashley Langen--16.6 ppg, 13 rpg, 2.2 assists/game (conference-only stats). Kierah Kimbrough is also a strong candidate with 17.9 ppg and 9.2 rpg. The other primary candidate is probably USD's Jeana Hoffman with 17.4 ppg, but she really doesn't have any other stat that jumps out at you.

Who's the frontrunner? I'm going to say Ashley Langen--16.6 ppg, 13 rpg, 2.2 assists/game (conference-only stats). Kierah Kimbrough is also a strong candidate with 17.9 ppg and 9.2 rpg. The other primary candidate is probably USD's Jeana Hoffman with 17.4 ppg, but she really doesn't have any other stat that jumps out at you.

Except that her team is winning the league. Thursday's game will go along way to settling this arguement. Personally, I like Kimbrough over Langen but it is more of picking the race horse over the Clydesdale (not meant as a slam, just a different kind of animal). Both are great players and both dominate this league right now. Wish they'd be together for that first DI year. Assuming we get some quality teams on the schedule, I'd like to see those 2 play at that level.

Except that her team is winning the league. Thursday's game will go along way to settling this arguement. Personally, I like Kimbrough over Langen but it is more of picking the race horse over the Clydesdale (not meant as a slam, just a different kind of animal). Both are great players and both dominate this league right now. Wish they'd be together for that first DI year. Assuming we get some quality teams on the schedule, I'd like to see those 2 play at that level.

Sometimes it seems being on the top team is a key "unofficial" criterion (see Boese over Quigley), and sometimes it's not (see Quigley over Kimbrough last year). Hard to say how much that will factor into things.

Jeana Hoffman has an intangible about her that doesn't show up in the box scores. She has come through in the clutch this year. She hit a couple of huge threes in two big games to allow the Coyotes to win those games. Statistically the Sioux players have the advantage for MVP. USD is fairly balanced all around. The most talented player on the team is probably freshman Amber Hegge and for any of you making the trip you will have to check her out. She is very long and can really dribble and drive to the basketball well for as long of a frame as she has. She has a knack for the game and also plays really good defense around the basket. I think I heard she had an ahzema problem that prevents her from playing big minutes. She is a good player though.

Jeana Hoffman has an intangible about her that doesn't show up in the box scores. She has come through in the clutch this year. She hit a couple of huge threes in two big games to allow the Coyotes to win those games. Statistically the Sioux players have the advantage for MVP. USD is fairly balanced all around. The most talented player on the team is probably freshman Amber Hegge and for any of you making the trip you will have to check her out. She is very long and can really dribble and drive to the basketball well for as long of a frame as she has. She has a knack for the game and also plays really good defense around the basket. I think I heard she had an ahzema problem that prevents her from playing big minutes. She is a good player though.

My lord, doesn't this guy ever sleep? :lol:

Sometimes it seems being on the top team is a key "unofficial" criterion (see Boese over Quigley), and sometimes it's not (see Quigley over Kimbrough last year). Hard to say how much that will factor into things.

You really thought Kimbrough should have got it over Quigley?? Stats do not mean a thing anymore?? Its based on how excited she plays and has energy? Come on Quigley was the real clydesdale 23pts 14 boards/game. National player of the year!! As for Boese the NCR did not agree as Quigley was NCR player of year. It should be the best player in the league regardless of standing!!

You really thought Kimbrough should have got it over Quigley?? Stats do not mean a thing anymore?? Its based on how excited she plays and has energy? Come on Quigley was the real clydesdale 23pts 14 boards/game. National player of the year!! As for Boese the NCR did not agree as Quigley was NCR player of year. It should be the best player in the league regardless of standing!!

No, I didn't think Kimbrough should have gotten it over Quigley. I simply brought up that example to refute the notion that the top statistical player from the NCC champion is necessarily going to get mvp. Personally, I'd give the mvp this year to Langen, but because UND isn't going to win the league, I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't get it. However, I do think there may be some sentiment among the league coaches to reward Langen for her body of work (great four-year player) over somebody like Hoffman who is a two-year NCC player (transfer). Just a thought.

You really thought Kimbrough should have got it over Quigley?? Stats do not mean a thing anymore?? Its based on how excited she plays and has energy? Come on Quigley was the real clydesdale 23pts 14 boards/game.
I know that Kimbrough was an outstanding high school player and Kierah is an extremely humble person. She is not the type of person that can run down the court with her fist in the air when she makes a good play. Believe that she is excited and she does have energy and wants to win as much as anyone on the team.

I know that Kimbrough was an outstanding high school player and Kierah is an extremely humble person. She is not the type of person that can run down the court with her fist in the air when she makes a good play. Believe that she is excited and she does have energy and wants to win as much as anyone on the team.

I think emotion in the game is a great thing. I was bring up a point someone else made earlier about mvp and the way she plays. We need to have more emotion on this team aka Langen, Maffin.

• 3 weeks later...