SiouxSports.com Forum

DI transition articles/info

dakotadan

LeMoyne Considers DI Move

A partner for NJIT?

The NCAA has a moratorium on reclassification until August 2011. According to the committee, a reclassification letter would be submitted to the NCAA in June 2011. Other teams could begin counting Le Moyne as a Division I opponent during the 2012-13 academic year, and Le Moyne would be eligible for NCAA championships in 2016-17.

The potential big fish in a move to Division I would be the men's lacrosse team, a perennial national Division II powerhouse. John Desko, head coach of Syracuse University's national champion Division I team, said getting a peer in his back yard would be good for the sport.

LeMoyne is DI in men's baseball and women's lacrosse, but was kicked out as an affiliate of the DI MAAC because LeMoyne dominated those schools.

The committee's formation was in part a reaction to the Dolphins' Division I baseball and women's lacrosse teams getting booted out of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference following the 2006-07 season. They are now playing as independents. All of Le Moyne's other teams are Division II.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic