SiouxSports.com Forum

Upcoming game against UNC

jimdahl

I haven't had a chance to see any of UND's games this year so am just working off published reports. The poundings of Crookston and Mesa State don't necessarily mean much, and the huge loss to Central Washington is a concern. Also, UNC was hanging in pretty tough with Montana last week, so they seem reasonably for real.

I guess the strategy will be to pound it out on the ground again, rotating between Mahmoud and Beatty. Keep UNC's defense on the field, play a bruising game, and all those ground game cliches.

I agree about UNC being a real test for this Sioux team. However, why not use Klosterman's arm a bit more. Sure, he has not yet had the consistency of last season in the air, but I think UND needs to use Smith and others in short (8 to 15) yard plays, where Klosterman can shine.

BTW, how does UND compare size-wise to UNC? Will the offensive line be able to create holes? Lennon reshuffled the OL after the embarrasing loss to CW. Do you think it functioned better against Mesa St., or were they just a weaker team?

BTW, how does UND compare size-wise to UNC?  Will the offensive line be able to create holes?  Lennon reshuffled the OL after the embarrasing loss to CW.  Do you think it functioned better against Mesa St., or were they just a weaker team?

UNC is actually a little below average size-wise on both lines by NCC standards, but I do know their defensive line is very good, as are the linebackers. I am not so sure about the db's, and I suspect that if the defense is going to be exploited, it will be by air (just like the Sioux defense). I think that a quick passing game will be way to attack the UNC defense, as I don't think Kelby will have a lot of time to sit in the pocket. The Sioux probably won't be able to make a living running between the tackles like they did last week, but I think they should try to run at least enough to keep the defense honest.

I would expect a game very similar to last year's matchup, which was very low scoring with the Sioux winning 13-7. On paper, I think the Sioux have a good chance to win if they play with the kind of intensity they showed last week. UNC is not the type of team that typically puts a whole lot of points on the board, at least since Corte McGuffey graduated, but they don't give up many, either. I'm thinking the game will be about 13-10, one way or the other. If the Sioux don't turn the ball over, I think a win is very possible. Two or more turnovers, and I don't think UND will win.

Yeah, I guess this isn't quite big enough a game for the benefits of experience to really start to outweigh the raw talent. However, it's clearly a critical game for both teams. A loss here could hurt UND a lot in confidence. The loss to Cent. Wash has already removed any "champ" aura of invincibility the Sioux might have enjoyed for a while this season. Whereas a win here would really erase some of those doubts.