• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tournament Awards:

Best Goaltender: Mason, Canada

Best Defensemen: Doughty, Canada

Best Forward: Tikanov, Russia

Most Valuable Player: Mason, Canada

Isn't it amazing how great team play accentuates the play of the stars? I agree Mason was lights out, but look at how well Team Canada played team defense!

Sorry, I know I shouldn't be "hatin'" on Team USA, but until they finally swallow their pride and turn Team USA into a team rather than an All Star Pageant, they'll always play second fiddle to Team Canada...Team Sweden...Team Russia...

Sorry, I know I shouldn't be "hatin'" on Team USA, but until they finally swallow their pride and turn Team USA into a team rather than an All Star Pageant, they'll always play second fiddle to Team Canada...Team Sweden...Team Russia...

Canada and Russia, yes; Sweden hasn't had a medal team for quite some years, but did change it around this year because the coaches realized they needed to change tactics, so we could see Sweden getting a lot more medals in the near future.

Canada and Russia, yes; Sweden hasn't had a medal team for quite some years, but did change it around this year because the coaches realized they needed to change tactics, so we could see Sweden getting a lot more medals in the near future.

So, Sweden realizes what wins games at this level but we can't?

Freakin' A! Next thing you know, Team Borat will do the same and we'll drop to 5th place.

I'm afraid that it will take the US not making it past the initial part of the tourney to change things... but then again, they'd probably just blame the coach and do nothing.

So, Sweden realizes what wins games at this level but we can't?

Freakin' A! Next thing you know, Team Borat will do the same and we'll drop to 5th place.

I'm afraid that it will take the US not making it past the initial part of the tourney to change things... but then again, they'd probably just blame the coach and do nothing.

USA hockey is too political right now to do the right thing re: World Jr's.

The current selection process is more for NHL CSS than choosing a team. You'd be surprise how little influence the coaches have on the team selection. I heard Peter McGuire during the tournament talk from time to time about Team Canada and how this player was on the team to win face offs, and that player was on the team to shut down the other team's top line, etc.

My solution Hire someone like Herb Brooks/Dean Blais for at least 3 years - give him responsiblity of GM and Coach. Let him come up with the selection process he wants, the staff he wants and let him pick the players he wants.

This tournament should be USAHockey's top priority - real success would help promote the sport in this country, which would also help showcase college hockey, where most of the team is selected from.

USA hockey is too political right now to do the right thing re: World Jr's.

The current selection process is more for NHL CSS than choosing a team. You'd be surprise how little influence the coaches have on the team selection. I heard Peter McGuire during the tournament talk from time to time about Team Canada and how this player was on the team to win face offs, and that player was on the team to shut down the other team's top line, etc.

My solution Hire someone like Herb Brooks/Dean Blais for at least 3 years - give him responsiblity of GM and Coach. Let him come up with the selection process he wants, the staff he wants and let him pick the players he wants.

This tournament should be USAHockey's top priority - real success would help promote the sport in this country, which would also help showcase college hockey, where most of the team is selected from.

Somehow I don't think Herb Brooks is an effective coach any longer... :D

I agree, though, in principal. Or better, perhaps we're essentially agreeing on the same thing. My main point was that we're going to have to swallow our pride and simply model our team selection and coaching to mimic Team Canada's.

We can't rely upon sheer luck (such as M-A Fleury's beautiful pass/goal) to win us the gold every year.