SiouxSports.com Forum

Wikis Rule!

siouxnami

A Wiki is an online collaboration that anyone can edit (click the tab at the top). I started a couple of topics on Sioux Recruiting and Former Sioux Players. It would be great if a few of you would go in and start updating and adding data. I posted this in hockey, because my pages deal with hockey. Obviously there is a ton of data that can be entered into Former Players and it would be great if some of you wanted to start that.

Oh yeah, and be on the lookout for trolls...

A Wiki is an online collaboration that anyone can edit (click the tab at the top). I started a couple of topics on Sioux Recruiting and Former Sioux Players. It would be great if a few of you would go in and start updating and adding data. I posted this in hockey, because my pages deal with hockey. Obviously there is a ton of data that can be entered into Former Players and it would be great if some of you wanted to start that.

Oh yeah, and be on the lookout for trolls...

Added a few more in there. You thinking of links to stats pages or something like that? I'm sure we can do what we want for now. Just wondering what your thoughts on it were.

I set up a template for Jason Blake. You can see how that one is set up by going to that page and hitting edit. Feel free to fill in missing information or copy into a new players page. Get to the players page by clicking on the players link. You may need to create the page for the player.

may i ask whats the main difference in the wiki? is is unlimited editing?? as cant we just edit posts in the message boards without trolls messing with them? thanks

The biggest two differences are that the message board is organized chronologically and that you can't edit other people's posts.

The message board is more of a place to have a conversation. The wiki is more of a place to collaboratively create more permanent documents.

While siouxnami definitely has the right idea and has been making great examples, I'll focus on one of mine. The "Sioux recruits" page is a page that lists all of the committed recruits. When something changes, any of us can go modify the page to keep it current. That page is then a useful resource that anyone can go to at any time to see all the current Sioux recruits. It's much harder to extract that information from a recruits thread in a message board (which I would expect to still exist and remain an ongoing discussion of recruits).

The biggest two differences are that the message board is organized chronologically and that you can't edit other people's posts.

The message board is more of a place to have a conversation. The wiki is more of a place to collaboratively create more permanent documents.

While siouxnami definitely has the right idea and has been making great examples, I'll focus on one of mine. The "Sioux recruits" page is a page that lists all of the committed recruits. When something changes, any of us can go modify the page to keep it current. That page is then a useful resource that anyone can go to at any time to see all the current Sioux recruits. It's much harder to extract that information from a recruits thread in a message board (which I would expect to still exist and remain an ongoing discussion of recruits).

makes sense, thanks

Jim,

One thing I noticed on this wiki is that I am having a hard time linking between main pages. For example, I might create Jonathon Toews page under the Former Players thread and then I might want to link to it from David Toews page under Commited Recruits, but I can seem to do this with an internal link. Any suggestions?

One thing I noticed on this wiki is that I am having a hard time linking between main pages. For example, I might create Jonathon Toews page under the Former Players thread and then I might want to link to it from David Toews page under Commited Recruits, but I can seem to do this with an internal link. Any suggestions?

Huh. There shouldn't be anything different, just include the page name in the double brackets.

See the playground where I made an example. Test page 1 and Test page 2 both link to test page 3.

I was able to get a link from David Toews page to connect with Jonathon Toews page. It looks like alot of stuff got wiped from the Wiki Discussion page. Can you restore that?

That's the beauty of this wiki system, you can view the entire history of the page yourself. Just click "Old Revisions" at the bottom of any page to see its complete history, including every change and who made it.

It's that plus the use of our accounts that makes it possible to do something like this without fear of vandalism or accidental modification.

That's the beauty of this wiki system, you can view the entire history of the page yourself. Just click "Old Revisions" at the bottom of any page to see its complete history, including every change and who made it.

It's that plus the use of our accounts that makes it possible to do something like this without fear of vandalism or accidental modification.

Cool, thanks, I hope you don't mind all the questions. I thought I'd ask them in a thread so that everyone who is interested can get a feel for the wiki.

• 3 weeks later...

I created pages for all current Fighting Sioux players and threw in a blank template on their pages. You can get to the pages by clicking on the wiki, then on fighting Sioux Team Pages, and this season or just following this link. If you have an interest in or unhealthy obsession with or restraining order put in place by one of these players please go in and update the pages.

http://wiki.siouxsports.com/doku.php/2007_..._fighting_sioux