SiouxSports.com Forum

Most Expensive University Arena?

SiouxMD

It looks like the University of Oregon is closer to obtaining its $213.5 million basketball arena. If constructed it would be the most expensive university owned arena in the country. The University of Louisville will apparently play in a $250 million facility but it will be owned by the city.

Knight's $100 million gift to bankroll Oregon athletics fund - espn.com

The University of Oregon's plan to build a new basketball arena moved a giant step forward Monday when Nike co-founder Phil Knight, and his wife, Penny, pledged $100 million to the university, the largest philanthropic gift in school history.

While we're on the subject of the University of Oregon...

While I was working at Wrestling Nationals this year, I talked to some guys from there and they mentioned something about Athletics taking away the Wrestling program from the school. I know most of you probably don't care, but if you want to know more or help, you can go to their website: www.saveoregonwrestling.com

Sounds like this arena will be really nice....

If Nike (or its co-founder) wanted to give me a $100 million I would wear whatever they wanted...just not this football uniform.

I'd wear that for $100 million.

It'd have to be on a foggy moonless night in windowless building with no electricity and no lights in a dense forest with nobody around for a hundred miles, but I'd do it. :blush:

While we're on the subject of the University of Oregon...

While I was working at Wrestling Nationals this year, I talked to some guys from there and they mentioned something about Athletics taking away the Wrestling program from the school. I know most of you probably don't care, but if you want to know more or help, you can go to their website: www.saveoregonwrestling.com

Sounds like this arena will be really nice....

Keep wrestling or add baseball so that all of the PAC 10 teams have it. I would say they made a very, very smart choice.

Oregon Live: Forget McArthur Court. Is Knight Pavilion next?

The track record set by Pickens and Engelstad also suggest Knight will maintain unrivaled influence over decisions within Oregon's athletics department.

Engelstad, for instance, at one point threatened to withdraw his donation if North Dakota dropped its Fighting Sioux mascot, which some Native Americans found offensive. Engelstad died in 2002, but the school has gone to court to challenge an NCAA ban on the nickname in postseason play.

Oklahoma State recently decided to invest $28 million with BP Capital Management, Pickens' Dallas-based company, to help finance even more renovations to the football stadium. The school already had invested $277 million with the fund.

I'd wear that for $100 million.

It'd have to be on a foggy moonless night in windowless building with no electricity and no lights in a dense forest with nobody around for a hundred miles, but I'd do it. :glare:

Even with no electricity and no one being able to see it, you do realize you will still spontaneously combust.....

Even with no electricity and no one being able to see it, you do realize you will still spontaneously combust.....

You would, but I wouldn't. Remember, I had four years to build up my ag college immunity. :glare: