SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU's last roadblock falls

jimdahl

Sorry if this was already in another thread, I didn't see it.

Many remember that the SD Board of Regents was very concerned about SDSU's D-I transition monetarily impacting the rest of the school, so put in place some rules to assuage those fears:

As expected, the SD Higher Ed Board of Regents has decided to allow SDSU to move if it can first secure a conference affiliation.

The Regents President expressed skepticism about the proponents' arguments, but said he won't stand in the way of SDSU taking care of itself (but stressed that SDSU is responsible for self-funding the move via athletics revenues only):

* The regents dictated that the schools will not get additional funding from student general activity fees or state taxes to support such a move

* They cannot cut academic scholarships to fund athletic scholarships

* Any deficit in the athletics budget must be dealt with by cutting athletic programs, scholarships or coaches' salaries

The "you must have a conference affiliation" rule was never enforced, but the financing rules have been quite strict, preventing SDSU from accelerating it's scholarship growth at the same rate as wealthier partner, NDSU.

No more. SDSU now gets to use institutional funds to catch up. SDSU Can Redirect Money - Argus Leader

In the future, these costs will be covered through fundraising and revenue generation. But for now, the Board has granted SDSU a temporary exception to Policy 5:15 so that it could get up to speed with the requirements of competing at the country's highest collegiate classification.

Updated in 2002 when the school was allowed to begin the Division I transition, the policy essentially prevents any of the state's universities from taking resources away from other programs to cover increased athletics costs.

A cynic might point out the coincidental weakening of this rule, hypothesized to have been created to discourage SDSU, with USD beginning its exploratory year.

I would like to publicly thank jimdahl for changing his avatar.

Thank you...jimdahl. Thank you.

:)

You're all lucky that the Caps got a new logo, and that I felt the need to make sure everyone knew about it. There are new jerseys too. I'm not completely sold, but I like that they're trying to get back to their roots.

I miss my old avatar, it was like looking in a mirror (with some extra hair squiggled on the top).