SiouxSports.com Forum

Portland State - Glanville in - Big Sky out?

star2city

This may be true. Can you tell me which UND administrators have contacted you (or the rest of the University for that matter) regarding their "inside information". While i'm as speculative as the next guy, claims of "inside information" that comes from someone who is:

A: Not an administrator at UND

B: Not involved with the UND athletic department

or

C: Not named Kupchella

don't really hold too much water with me. Please don't spew this "inside information" as fact when it is clear that you are not "privy" to such "information".

Why no rebuke of MplsBison for his insistence that UND is heading to the MidCon?

As far as inside UND information, read a Steve Hallstrom blog from last summer. UND administrators had to have high assurance of obtaining conference membership before they made the move, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Unlike NDSU and SDSU, failure by UND to find a conference leaves no safety net (the NCC).

UND did not move up based on a strategy of hope, as one poster puts it. Too much was at stake.

Ever heard the phrase "Hope isn't a strategy"?

Heres the expansion order for the mid-con and sky if defections take place in either (during the next 10 years)

Big Sky- 1. S. Utah 2. UVSC 3. NDSU/SDSU 4. UND/USD

Mid-con- 1. Texas Pan Am 2. Edwardsville 3. UND/USD

Thats what people should be talking about, but amazingly, nobody at either USD or UND seems to care about this situation. The class your moving up in is a a lot more crowded regionally than when SDSU/NDSU moved up.

Big Sky - 1. Denver 2. UND 3. UBC 4. USD 5. SUU (moves higher if Sac and PSU both leave before 2010) 6. USVC

Mid-Con - (to 12) 1. SIUe/USD 3. NKU/Bellarmine 5. UVSC/OklaCityU

(replacement) 1. UTPA

I'm sure Oregon and OR St would love to see PSU drop football.

Not that they aren't already head and shoulders above PSU for football support from the state.

Portland State may follow the same pattern that Long Beach State had:

Long Beach State hired former Redskin coach George Allen.

Allen brought moderate success to Long Beach.

After Allen resigned after getting sick (ironically after players soaked him with Gatorade at the finale of a winning season), Long Beach State dropped football.

Long Beach State football fans wanted one last attempt to make football work: they got it, but still failed.

Portland State next?

Mid-Con Championship - Tuesday March 6 - ESPN start time 7 pm ET (Eastern Time - remember it is all about the coasts when you are talking about National TV)

Big Sky Championship - Wed. March 7 - ESPN2 start time 9 pm ET

MidCon - Tuesday - 7PM ET, 6 PM Central, 5 PM MT, but ESPN

Big Sky - Wed, 9 PM ET, 8 PM Central, 7 PM MT, but ESPN2

For television rankings, the Big Sky actually has the better setup (but not by much, when comparing ESPN vs ESPN2).

I don't see Portland State football going anywhere soon. (I live 12 miles west of Portland.) It seems like they are just trying to generate the same buzz present when Pokey Allen was the coach and they made it to the D-II championship game (and lost to the Bison.) With all of the transplants from California living up here, it would be very hard to compete with the PAC-10 crowd when there are 3 PAC-10 teams within 3 hours of Portland.

PSU football has been around for a long time, we may not be top notch off the field but we are on the field, wheter glanville gets things rolling or not the football program is going nowhere, if we drop football then Utah State, Idaho, Northern Colorado as examples should also drop football, cause they are doing terrible on and off the field

I expect a 8 win season at the least next year, JG is an awesome hire but I'm more happy about Mouse then JG, MD will bring back the R&S and have PSU running a Top-10 offense next year

either way, dropping the program won't happen

Nice site guys!