SiouxSports.com Forum

ND Paddlers?

SoonersNSioux

We have a thread about running, so I figured I would throw up another outdoor activity/exercise. Do we have any kayak or canoe paddlers in town? I've done some googling, but haven't found much in the way of ND paddle clubs or organizations.

I've had the chance to kayak quite a few times in the past and always found it to be a good workout/relaxing adventure. I finally broke down and bought a 14.5 ft. touring kayak this winter. I'd like to do some weekend trips once I get enough experience (and buy some camping gear). There are plenty of great places within a half day drive... the Missouri River, Little Missouri, Pembina, the Red, and of course the Boundary Waters/Voyeugers NP in MN. Once the river melts, I'll probably paddle some on the Red. During the summer it seems to have a pretty slow current.

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Sooners,

You may also want to try two environmental groups that have chapters all around the country. The Nature Conservancy(not political) and Sierra Club(leadership is far too left for me). They sponsor hikes,bicycle rides, canoe/kayak paddles, and other outdoor activities. I have volunteered for both groups and the average members are very nice people who love the outdoors and want to protect our resources. Once in a while, you might run into someone who will give you an attitude because you aren't wearing clothes made of freely falling maple leaves,but that is the exception.

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested, I saw some information about a learn to kayak class in the Grand Forks Herald. It will be held on campus at Bemidji State University February 5 from 7-10pm. The cost is $15 and the contact number is 218-755-2999. Here is a site for more information----undefined

Hi Sioux-cia,

If you saw me, you would certainly say I am WAY too much!!! I better do something about that soon or I won't be able to fit into my Sioux jersey or my car for that matter!!! Anyway, a terrific fan from Grand Forks sends me tapes of the games and she recently sent me some newspapers from Grand Forks and I noticed the kayaking event in the Outdoors articles. Thought there might be somebody out there who was interested,but missed the article.

Hi Sioux-cia,

If you saw me, you would certainly say I am WAY too much!!! I better do something about that soon or I won't be able to fit into my Sioux jersey or my car for that matter!!! Anyway, a terrific fan from Grand Forks sends me tapes of the games and she recently sent me some newspapers from Grand Forks and I noticed the kayaking event in the Outdoors articles. Thought there might be somebody out there who was interested,but missed the article.

Start walking!! That's what I'm doing. I don't swim well enough to start paddling.