SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba and Hedberg

UND92,96

Assuming both UMD and SCSU get into the NSIC, and further assuming that conference refuses to increase their scholarship limit above 24, do these guys seriously look for other jobs? I can't imagine they relish the idea of trying to compete with the GLIAC schools with 12 fewer scholarships.

I have been told that Randy Hedberg was a serious candidate for the Emporia State job (just got filled yesterday), so obviously he is looking to get out.

I don't think that moving to the NSIC is in and of itself the major problem for those guys. They have won with scholarship numbers around that level in the past... SCSU was only at 24 when they made the playoffs in 2004 and Duluth only had 25 last year. They would be going into a conference where they would instantly be the top programs and could expect to make regular playoff appearances.

But I think the problem those coaches see is with recruiting. There will suddenly be 4 I-AA programs to recruit against and it's going to be very difficult to maintain their overall talent levels unless they can find a recruiting pipeline to another area of the country.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I admire UMD for making the committment to move up and add scholarships. Randy did well with what he had to work with but the sad thing for them is...they will have to adhere to the scholarship limit for the Northern Sun (24 max I believe) to join and the bigger deal is all the powerhouse schools leaving for DI-AA will only strengthen the call on the national D2 level to lower the maximum number of scholarships. This has been tried before (and always been rebuffed) but the odds of it going through in the next few years is going up with every former D2 power moving up.... :silly:

I admire UMD for making the committment to move up and add scholarships. Randy did well with what he had to work with but the sad thing for them is...they will have to adhere to the scholarship limit for the Northern Sun (24 max I believe) to join and the bigger deal is all the powerhouse schools leaving for DI-AA will only strengthen the call on the national D2 level to lower the maximum number of scholarships. This has been tried before (and always been rebuffed) but the odds of it going through in the next few years is going up with every former D2 power moving up.... :silly:

In January at the NCAA convention there will be a vote on a measure that would require any further D2 football scholarship reduction to have a 2/3 majority. If that measure passes (and I have been told that it probably will), it will be a long time before we see scholarship reduction talk again in D2.

In January at the NCAA convention there will be a vote on a measure that would require any further D2 football scholarship reduction to have a 2/3 majority. If that measure passes (and I have been told that it probably will), it will be a long time before we see scholarship reduction talk again in D2.

Any idea RD (removing UND/USD and any other prospective movers) how many D2 programs are at or above the 24 scholarship level? I'm curious how many programs are above the 24 scholly level right now?

I have been told that Randy Hedberg was a serious candidate for the Emporia State job (just got filled yesterday), so obviously he is looking to get out.

I don't think that moving to the NSIC is in and of itself the major problem for those guys. They have won with scholarship numbers around that level in the past... SCSU was only at 24 when they made the playoffs in 2004 and Duluth only had 25 last year. They would be going into a conference where they would instantly be the top programs and could expect to make regular playoff appearances.

But I think the problem those coaches see is with recruiting. There will suddenly be 4 I-AA programs to recruit against and it's going to be very difficult to maintain their overall talent levels unless they can find a recruiting pipeline to another area of the country.

While they have made the playoffs in the past with scholarships in the 24 range--and Winona has had good teams with scholarships at about half that--I just don't see teams with scholarships much below 30 being competitive with the Grand Valley's of the world more often than perhaps once every decade, particularly with the available talent being further diluted with the additional scholarships which are/will be available to the SU's, UND and USD. If simply making the playoffs or winning a conference is the main goal, this move will be a positive one for the the soon-to-be-former NCC schools. If the opportunity to potentially win a national championship is more the goal, they need to find another job because it's not going to happen for an NSIC team at the current scholarship level. Bubba strikes me as too competitive of a guy to accept that, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Any idea RD (removing UND/USD and any other prospective movers) how many D2 programs are at or above the 24 scholarship level? I'm curious how many programs are above the 24 scholly level right now?

The average is about 24, but I believe the median is higher than that which explains why the last scholarship reduction vote failed. The NCAA did a study a while back where they grouped the teams in stratifications of three scholarships (i.e. 33-36, 30-33, 27-30 etc.). There were more teams in the 33-36 category than any other.

One of the reasons I will be surprised if the NSIC takes all the NCC survivors. They aren't hurting for numbers now, and their current teams are in favorable playoff position (not just football).