SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks - The Album

GeauxSioux

Something for your Christmas list.

Music Review: Tom Brosseau - Grand Forks

Behind the pastoral vocals and the classic arrangements, Grand Forks is, in the most simplistic terms, a good folk album. Traditional folk music, which got its name because it's music by and about common people, is an expression of a way of life, and this is exactly what Brosseau does. He weaves tales of life and the lives of those who reside in Grand Forks, North Dakota

• 4 weeks later...

I saw in The Herald today that tickets are on-sale now at Ticketmaster for Tom's show the 27th. Buy them at The Fritz and save the service charges. On a side note, performing with Tom is classical violinist Hilary Hahn. Hilary is a 2x Grammy winner that could probably sell out the Fritz on her own. Opening the show is Adam Levy from the great Mpls band, The Honeydogs.

This sholud be an amazing evening of music.

Congrats on your success Tom!

Floods of Memory

Brosseau says Grand Forks is the result of 10 years of thinking about the Red River flood, and in the album's finale, "97 Flood" he returns to his hometown. Backed by a slow and simple chord progression, the water rises higher with each quiet verse until it pours "into every corner, into every hall, to the pews in every church, to the stools in every bar." The simple documentary style of the song proves almost as devastating as the events it describes.

pretty cool that john doe co-produced. will have to check it out.

Rumor has it that John Doe was scheduled to be here for the performance, but it just didn't work out. Instead, we have to settle for a 2X GRAMMY WINNER and world-renowned goddess of the classical music genre. ;-) The opener, Adam Levy, is the leader of The Honeydogs. He's amazing also. This will be a special event for The Empire, and Grand Forks. I'd go get a ticket soon. I know I did. The only way to obtain more shows in town is to support events like this.

• 1 month later...

Fat Catfish

Tom Brosseau counts five albums to his name. Chances are you've never heard of this North Dakota native or his quiet, acoustic songs. Last year esteemed British imprint Fat Cat picked up Empty Houses Are Lonely. This year sees Loveless issuing Grand Forks, an ode to his quirky hometown. We threw him a few questions.

• 2 months later...

Love of road is driving force behind Tom Brosseau's songs

He performed the set for Grand Forks dignitaries and even got a key to the city, but going back to the place he'd written about presented an experience he was not expecting.

"I don't know if it is because I've been gone for a while, traveled so much or just had a different representation of the town in my mind, but things are not always the same as you remember them," he said. "I loved playing there and we had such a great response ... it just feels like I may remember it now as more of a fictitious place."

Could any of you who know tell me the Christian radio stations in the Grand Forks area and if any of them broadcast on the internet? Thanks.
Hey JFR. Here in Fargo we listen to KFNW 97.9 and K-LOVE 100.7. Both have internet streaming. Also there's KKEQ 107.1 out of Fosston, Mn. Don't think they have an internet feed. My personal fav is Praise FM KBHL out of Osakis, Mn.

• 10 months later...

Below is the release I copied from culturepulse.org. Also, Terry Dullum's blog has a great post regarding Tom. Good stuff!!! Keep up the great work Mr. Brosseau, traveling the globe extolling the great attributes of this fantastic part of the world!

TOM BROSSEAU

Record Release show for CAVALIER with special guest, Brenda Weiler Empire Arts Center, Saturday April 26, 2008 7:30pm Tickets: Chester Fritz Box Office & Ticketmaster: $15 advance, $18 day of show Tom Brosseau is pleased to welcome special guest Fargo-born/Minneapolis-based songstress Brenda Weiler to join him as he returns to his hometown to celebrate the release of his latest album, Cavalier, on Brighton UK/New York-based FatCat Records Weiler will be supporting her most recent release, End The Rain. Weiler has received the Minnesota Best Singer/Songwriter and Best Vocalist awards multiple times. She received Performing Songwriter