43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will make it this season

• Matt Smaby
    • Jordan Parise
    • Karl Goehring
    • Colby Genoway
    • Bryan Lundbolm

ok, last revision. i promise lol

as far as Genoway is concerned, yes the Ducks are doing magnificently, but if they have an injury, he could get the call. i dont know how he is doing compared to how Stafford was doing, but its obvious that Buffalo was /is doing well and when Afinogenov got hurt, he got called up. Ya never know.

question....because bryan lundbolm is an alternate captain for the Aeros, does that mean he has more of a chance, because of his obvious consistent all-around ability, or less of a chance, as i dont really see the reason in sending any of your captains up, when they are the leadership of your team. just curious

question....because bryan lundbolm is an alternate captain for the Aeros, does that mean he has more of a chance, because of his obvious consistent all-around ability, or less of a chance, as i dont really see the reason in sending any of your captains up, when they are the leadership of your team. just curious

no, it doesnt mean he has a better chance., irmen and about 4 others that were drafted high by the wild will be the next full time nhlers on the wild. hes a very good ahl player that may get a call up ony due to injuries and needing to fill that position.

I wonder if the AHL doesn't give the letters to deserving players that the AHL coaching staff feel has the best chance of remaining with the AHL team the longest during the season? Leadership isn't effective if they are constantly packing bags and heading up to the "parent" organization.

I hate to say this, but I think Karl will never get a realistic shot in the NHL. Lundbohm and Genoway's chances are only slightly better. I dearly hope I'm wrong.

Jordan Parise is a wild card. I don't see JPar making it as long as Clemmenson and Brodeur are healthy. I believe that JPar is the 4th string goaltender as well. Frank Doyle (formerly of UMaine) may be #3?

Matt Smaby has the most realistic chance at getting called up now that Stafford and Zajac have broken the NHL ranks.

I wonder if the AHL doesn't give the letters to deserving players that the AHL coaching staff feel has the best chance of remaining with the AHL team the longest during the season? Leadership isn't effective if they are constantly packing bags and heading up to the "parent" organization.

I hate to say this, but I think Karl will never get a realistic shot in the NHL. Lundbohm and Genoway's chances are only slightly better. I dearly hope I'm wrong.

Jordan Parise is a wild card. I don't see JPar making it as long as Clemmenson and Brodeur are healthy. I believe that JPar is the 4th string goaltender as well. Frank Doyle (formerly of UMaine) may be #3?

Matt Smaby has the most realistic chance at getting called up now that Stafford and Zajac have broken the NHL ranks.

yeah that makes sense, and what i was thinking. and i know the hype and everything is much greater in the NHL, but to be a leader on a team, even at that level, is a great honor, and if any part of it is about money, im sure he is gettin his due.

It's odd to think such a great goalie historically at UND wont get a chance in the NHL most likely. what happened? did he just break down as of late? (goehring)

yeah, doyle is #3. he has only 3 games under his belt, but he is becoming consistently better each game (obviously going from a loss where he gave up 6 goals to his next game being a win where he only have up 2 [i think] is a great improvement in itself. i agre with the statement that he may not get a chance this season if both Clem and Brodeur stay healthy, but i DO think he has a good shot at gettin that #3 spot.

havent heard much about smaby, but he is a solid, consistent performer from what i have seen watchin him his last 2 years @ UND. Staff seems to be fitting in fairly well so far, and Zajac....well, i think its obvious he is definitely showing he deserves to be on that team.

yeah that makes sense, and what i was thinking. and i know the hype and everything is much greater in the NHL, but to be a leader on a team, even at that level, is a great honor, and if any part of it is about money, im sure he is gettin his due.

Whoa!

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or berate you or anything like that! I just honestly don't know! I mean, it is an honor to be named Captain or Alternate Captain at any level of hockey, no doubt about it, but would a team want their "A" and "C" players constantly being shipped out to the NHL and back? Maybe they do, I don't know.

If I'm being sarcastic I'll put a smilie after it. And I don't attack posters... or at least I try hard not to.

Whoa!

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or berate you or anything like that! I just honestly don't know! I mean, it is an honor to be named Captain or Alternate Captain at any level of hockey, no doubt about it, but would a team want their "A" and "C" players constantly being shipped out to the NHL and back? Maybe they do, I don't know.

If I'm being sarcastic I'll put a smilie after it. And I don't attack posters... or at least I try hard not to.

haha WHOA here too!! lol i definitely didnt intend for that to sound like a remark thinking you were being sarcastic! haha. im sorry if you thoght that. no i understood what you were saying and was jsut trying my 2-cents in at it haha. i was saying that what you said about having the "A" cause he would be long term AHL was what i was thinking originally, but thought id ask the question anyways lol. the money comment was jsut cause some players you could see being upset at playing at a lower level for less money, when they've strived their whole lives to play jsut one level higher.....and if that was his case, for any reason, which i wouldnt think it would be, that he is im sure "gettin his due" wearing the "A". haah thats all i was sayin. sorry again if you took it wrongly haha

:D;)

there are great college players that will roam around in the minors like karl and panzer and many others and then there are great players that were drafted and will have solid nhl careers like zajac, parise ect.....for the players who are not drafted it is very tough to crack a nhl lineup on a nightly basis unless they just tear in up in the ahl.........there is nothing wrong with making a career out of the minor leagues though, beats most 9 to 5's :D

ok so here is my next question. obviously, everyone thinks smaby has the best chance, and i agree with that, solely based, on my part, by the fact that he was only one cut short of starting the season with the Lightning, so he obviously showed great potential.

My question is, although we all know/think Smaby has a better chance, how far behind smaby is genoway, really? He has played in all 15 games for the Pirates this season. He doesnt have a huge # of goals (tied for 5th with 3) but he is second in assists, points, and +/-. He also is tied for the most "Stars of the Game" points with 8 (1st star 3pts, 2nd star 2pts, 3rd star 1pt). It seems to me he is having a very productive year so far. Personally, after checking up on him, i believe if he is not before, he will be right behind smaby in moving up to the big show. of course this also has alot to do with injuries on their respective teams, but as far as performance in concerned, putting asside the fact that smaby is a d-man, and genoway is a winger, i'd say genoway is as good a candidate to make the jump first. what are ya'lls thoughts.

i do not think any of the other players besides smaby has a good shot. genoway was not drafted by anaheim. he signed a contract with them probably knowing he would be a AHL player and maybe have a shot at making it up but chances are not likely with how good anaheim is. smaby is a highly invested TB draft pick player who will be up very soon depending on the situation there and more than likely if he develops like they want and just gets some end of the year action in the show this season, he should be a full time nhl player next season.

i dont think parise will ever see the nhl soon with the NJ goaltending situation. lets remember he is their 4th goalie basically. hes the backup i lowell. maybe someday if he just tears it up but who knows.

yeah i expect smaby to be up as well. i didnt know genoway wasnt drafted. maybe he will become one of those players who stays full time in the AHL and ends up with an A or C. That would still be quite an accomplishment. Parise is still something that is up in the air i believe. The problem is, Dennis just got sent down to Lowell as well. Why is that? was that cause NJ doesnt need him up there? or was it to open up a spot for, possibly, Doyle to get a shot up there? if the latter was the case, wouldnt you believe that JPar would get a shot at being the starting goalie in Lowell? this is all speculation, which has nothing to do with actual events. its just my, agian, speculation in an attempt to continue to make further speculation more valid.

either way, genoway is a great player in the AHL right now. can't wait to see smaby up. what a year it would be with 3 ex-sioux from the 05-06 season all playing in the NHL at the same time.