SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota-Twin Cities football program

JESUS,family,rutgers

Great effort by the Bison yesterday. For those of you familiar with midwest football, why do the programs at Minnesota-Twin Cities and Indiana never really do much other than a pretty good season here and there? I know these two states are not known for great high school football, but don't they try to recruit good footbal states like Ohio,Texas,California,Georgia,etc.? By the way,what a comeback by Michigan State.

MN is easy...the Big Inflatable Toilet AKA the Metrodome

That is one of the reasons. Yeah they're getting a stadium on campus soon but the BIT sucks as a stadium. Until recently, they had the old turf (think like the Vet in Philly).

MN hasnt been good in 20 years...yeah they go to bowl games but with 6-5 or 7-4 records? yech.

They weren't good 20 years ago either. Aside from being at fairly decent for much of the Barber/Maroney era, they really haven't been any good since long before most of us were born.

Gopher football history

I knew they were a rotten program, but that link really illustrates it. Last Big Ten Title was 40 years ago! Why is everyone so upset at Glen Mason? Seems the program has stunk since the glory days in the first part of the 1900s. Kind of like Michigan Tech in hockey, good long ago, stunk in modern times.

I knew they were a rotten program, but that link really illustrates it. Last Big Ten Title was 40 years ago! Why is everyone so upset at Glen Mason? Seems the program has stunk since the glory days in the first part of the 1900s. Kind of like Michigan Tech in hockey, good long ago, stunk in modern times.

Because Mason is so incompetant that even his excuses lack professionalism. I mean... uniforms being distracting? Sports pages playing too big a role? Dude... this guy is so out of touch that there's no doubt as to why this team isn't getting anywhere. I mean, even Dennis Green's excuses make more sense!

2 contributors...

Mason lacks class.

They make their students go to class. (Not always common in DI-A)

1 is pertinent, the other should be mandatory for all NCAA schools. I don't see how that affects the fact that the Gophers aren't fundamentally sound.

They can't RUN, they can't TACKLE... how does going to class affect that?

1 is pertinent, the other should be mandatory for all NCAA schools. I don't see how that affects the fact that the Gophers aren't fundamentally sound.

Speculation, just like every other post. Perhaps they recruited people to preform in the classroom too. Obviously should be mandatory....doesn't happen everywhere.

I was there. Mason is an aweful coach after whitnessing what happened first hand. If I were the Gophers (yes, I know Mason has a 1.9 million buyout), I would go after Bohl or Lennon to take it over so they can have some decent coaching for a change.

Speculation, just like every other post. Perhaps they recruited people to preform in the classroom too. Obviously should be mandatory....doesn't happen everywhere.

I guess they should be pleased that they have the best nerds Mason could recruit. Look, I would love to see an All Academic football team, but it really is a catch-22! If your team does well in the classroom but poorly on the field, why not convert those football scholies to academic scholies and just be happy?

These guys weren't recruited because they're top notch academics. They were recruited because supposedly they could play football all the while qualifying for admission and, in all probability, be able to maintain their eligibility.

Also, what makes you think they are performing well academically? Grades haven't even come out yet! I'll tell you what, though, when the grades do come out and there is a way to find out the team GPA after this first term, post it here. And if it is above 3.0 AS A TEAM, I will rescind every bad thing I've said about the Gopher football team and I will refrain from slighting them the remainder of the season.

Until then, Mason sucks as a coach and that team sucks as a team.

I guess they should be pleased that they have the best nerds Mason could recruit. Look, I would love to see an All Academic football team, but it really is a catch-22! If your team does well in the classroom but poorly on the field, why not convert those football scholies to academic scholies and just be happy?

These guys weren't recruited because they're top notch academics. They were recruited because supposedly they could play football all the while qualifying for admission and, in all probability, be able to maintain their eligibility.

Also, what makes you think they are performing well academically? Grades haven't even come out yet! I'll tell you what, though, when the grades do come out and there is a way to find out the team GPA after this first term, post it here. And if it is above 3.0 AS A TEAM, I will rescind every bad thing I've said about the Gopher football team and I will refrain from slighting them the remainder of the season.

Academic Standards Lower for Gopher Athletes

Whoa...you're reading much more into what I said than I implied. I agree with your post and next time I'll use that sarcasm smilie where applicable.

What I implied: some coaches recruit athletes to play football and not flunk out. Some coaches recruit athletes to play football. Just a though to consider.

Mason does suck though. Too many excuses, little action.