SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tournament Expanding to 128 Teams?

star2city

Coaches to urge NCAA to expand tourney

Since UND is now heading in the DI direction, this topic is relevant. If a tournament expansion comes to pass, it would have a number of likely effects:

- the payment for a one game tournament appearance would drop by almost 50% The odds of a low seed advancing to the Sweet Sixteen drops more (three wins needed, not two). The major conferences would take an even bigger share of the proceeds. The upside would be that any team with more than 20 wins, even in the Sky, would practically be in.

- The NIT would probably be gone, so there would be no post season appearance by any transition team (not that it would happen anyway).

- The initial weekend, there would need to be 32 sites hosting a single-day doubleheader. REA (post-lawsuit victory) could maybe even bid.

• 1 month later...

I am very interested in what this topic is about, but I can't find what you're talking about in that article. Would you mind helping me out here. Where did I miss the rest of the article that talks about the coaches urging the NCAA.

I find it particularly interesting especially since the NCAA just cut the NIT from 40 to 32 teams. I'll get you a link to that article.

NIT's postseason field cut to 32 teams

Posted 8/1/2006 7:14 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this

By Steve Wieberg and Thomas O'Toole, USA TODAY

The NCAA continued its makeover of college basketball's National Invitation Tournament on Tuesday, trimming the postseason field from 40 teams to what it said is a more workable 32.

"It is more logical in terms of structure, easier to follow for fans and participants, more workable in bracketing ... and it also eases the burden on travel," said C.M. Newton, a longtime basketball coach and athletics administrator who heads the six-man NIT committee that made the decision.

Said Greg Shaheen, an NCAA vice president who has overseen the NIT since the association bought the event a year ago, "This just makes it a better fit."

The new format