SiouxSports.com Forum

Congradulations From a USD Fan

Coyote Fan

I am a first timer on this board and come in peace. I am sure many of you know me from the d2football.com board or the USD board. I have been known to be opinionated. I am very objective and will tell it like it is whether good or bad for USD. If my University screws up I am not gonna eat Coyote sugar but will instead give them an alumni butt whipping.

Anyway congradulations on your move to D1. Your University did what it needed to do by moving up because the NCC and D2 is rapidly deteriorating. The Sioux will be every bit as competitive as the other State U's. I sure hope USD has the vision to move forward and to move up into Divison 1 as UND has now done. I would much rather see that then to see my University slowly go down the drain. Right now UND has alot of good facilities and probably alot more money than USD but I believe South Dakota can make the move if they are dedicated to the cause 100%. There seems to be alot of untapped sources of money that might be able to be utilized if need be. At least I hope so. With your departure from D2 I would imagine that USD will come under some extreme pressure from their alum to also move up.

As Sioux fans what is your opinion of USD moving up and if so do you think it would be possible for us to get into a new conference together? I would suppose realigning with SDSU and NDSU would be another possiblity. I also wonder whether any other NCC schools would consider moving up as well. I think sometimes these schools sell themselves short because most of the NCC fits in with D1AA anyway.

USD and UND have alot in common academically. We certainly both have the common intestest of not liking our State University rivals. But lets not forget that we are the flagship institutions from our states and that is something that SDSU and NDSU will never be able to claim.

Hopefully down the road we will play each other in athletics in D1. The Coyotes were just starting to build up their football program and it would be nice to be able to continue to play the Sioux.

Good luck with your move

P.S. I am not looking forward to having the Coyotes travel up to the Alerus Center in football this year as I am sure you will really be looking for revenge.

USD and UND have alot in common academically. We certainly both have the common intestest of not liking our State University rivals. But lets not forget that we are the flagship institutions from our states and that is something that SDSU and NDSU will never be able to claim.

Chancellor Robert M. Berdahl

Many of what we now call the Flagship campuses were established in the extraordinary period of university building that took place in the United States in the roughly three decades from the mid-1850s to the mid-1880s. Many came into being after the Morrill Act of 1863 provided the federal grants of land to the states to establish public universities. Some states built two institutions, a land-grant college focused on agriculture and the "mechanical arts" as well as general education, and another more directed at classical education and the other professions.

Ahhh...so that's what a land grant college is. That term has been thrown around allot, and I thought it had something to do with prestiege. It just refers to a different mission than a "non-land grant" college.

Now the term "flagship university" sounds to me like a more subjective term. As an outsider looking at the Dakotas, I would think that UND, USD, SDSU, and NDSU are all "flagship" universities...I guess it all depends where you have your allegiance.

Now the term "flagship university" sounds to me like a more subjective term. As an outsider looking at the Dakotas, I would think that UND, USD, SDSU, and NDSU are all "flagship" universities...I guess it all depends where you have your allegiance.

You're right on. Bison and Sioux fans like to pretend that there can only be one and that their institution is it.

Also, UND is a land-grant as well. Those s-o-bs ??? got land for the school of mine's back in the 1800's and I'm wondering if they don't have the space grant as well.

As Sioux fans what is your opinion of USD moving up and if so do you think it would be possible for us to get into a new conference together? I would suppose realigning with SDSU and NDSU would be another possiblity. I also wonder whether any other NCC schools would consider moving up as well. I think sometimes these schools sell themselves short because most of the NCC fits in with D1AA anyway.

I'm not a Sioux fan but I do have the opinion that USD should move up.

NDSU, SDSU, UND, and USD make a logical group of four flagship universities with statewide following.

Of the four, USD probably has the lowest budget and the lowest facilities.

You guys probably needs some new facilities and those will cost some money.

You do have some wealthy alumni that you could tap, though.

As far as the NCC goes. I believe UND and USD are the only schools that can make the move up. The rest don't have the desire or the ability at this time.

More on Morrill Act Land Grant Universities:

http://www.wvu.edu/~exten/about/land.htm#what

The Land-Grant College: What Is a Land-Grant College?

A land-grant college or university is an institution that has been designated by its state legislature or Congress to receive the benefits of the Morrill Acts of 1862 and 1890. The original mission of these institutions, as set forth in the first Morrill Act, was to teach agriculture, military tactics, and the mechanic arts as well as classical studies so that members of the working classes could obtain a liberal, practical education.

Over the years, land-grant status has implied several types of federal support. The first Morrill Act provided grants in the form of federal lands to each state for the establishment of a public institution to fulfill the act's provisions. At different times money was appropriated through legislation such as the second Morrill Act and the Bankhead-Jones Act, although the funding provisions of these acts are no longer in effect. Today, the Nelson Amendment to the Morrill Act provides a permanent annual appropriation of $50,000 per state and territory.

A key component of the land-grant system is the agricultural experiment station program created by the Hatch Act of 1887. The Hatch Act authorized direct payment of federal grant funds to each state to establish an agricultural experiment station in connection with the land-grant institution there. The amount of this appropriation varies from year to year and is determined for each state through a formula based on the number of small farmers there. A major portion of the federal funds must be matched by the state.

To disseminate information gleaned from the experiment stations' research, the Smith-Lever Act of 1914 created a Cooperative Extension Service associated with each U.S. land-grant institution. This act authorized ongoing federal support for extension services, using a formula similar to the Hatch Act's to determine the amount of the appropriation. This act also requires that the states provide matching funds in order to receive the federal monies. . . .

You might also want to know who they are and where they are located, here is a link to a map that will help.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/land/lgif/m2784l.gif

I'm not a Sioux fan but I do have the opinion that USD should move up.

NDSU, SDSU, UND, and USD make a logical group of four flagship universities with statewide following.

Of the four, USD probably has the lowest budget and the lowest facilities.

You guys probably needs some new facilities and those will cost some money.

You do have some wealthy alumni that you could tap, though.

As far as the NCC goes. I believe UND and USD are the only schools that can make the move up. The rest don't have the desire or the ability at this time.

I also feel that USD should move up. I think they, like UND, would be a lock for the GWFC. But after that as far as conferences go it is every school for themselves. I think it could change the dynamic a little bit if all 4 Dakota schools were available for conferences to choose from. I think a USD/SDSU combo would be more appealing to the Mid-Con than would UND/NDSU. The Mid-Con tries to emphasize basketball and the SD schools are traditionally much stronger basketball schools and offer better geography for that conference than do the ND schools.

I also feel that USD should move up. I think they, like UND, would be a lock for the GWFC. But after that as far as conferences go it is every school for themselves. I think it could change the dynamic a little bit if all 4 Dakota schools were available for conferences to choose from. I think a USD/SDSU combo would be more appealing to the Mid-Con than would UND/NDSU. The Mid-Con tries to emphasize basketball and the SD schools are traditionally much stronger basketball schools and offer better geography for that conference than do the ND schools.

I agree completely, but at ridiculous as it is that Wisconsin win was a big deal to a lot of people. If NDSU gets into the Mid-Con, I'd believe it has as much to do with that Saturday in January as anything else.

I agree completely, but at ridiculous as it is that Wisconsin win was a big deal to a lot of people. If NDSU gets into the Mid-Con, I'd believe it has as much to do with that Saturday in January as anything else.

The thing is NDSU has been behind both USD and SDSU in basketball for years, just as the opposite is true for football. If NDSU can do what they have in basketball by beating Wisconsin the SD schools could do the same. It does make sense that UND and NDSU might fit in better with the Big Sky and USD and SDSU with the midcon. I don't know if it will work out that way but it makes sense. Either way if USD goes D1 all four schools will likely play every year.