SiouxSports.com Forum

Why do we want to honor the Sioux nation?

larsensa

I had an interesting talk with my dad the other night. One of his female employees is a Sioux indian. While he was interviewing her they ended up talking about her heritage and it turned out that her grandfather is the picture you see on the highway patrol cars in ND. She brought pictures in to show my dad more and a coin with her grandfather's picture on it that the state patrol or ND government had given her grandfather. While they were talking about all of this stuff she ended up telling my dad that it is a great honor to have UND using the Sioux name and that the majority of Sioux support UND using the name.

I am originally from Devils Lake and have many Sioux friends from the Spirit Lake Nation. Out of all my friends, none of them have a problem with the name. They feel the problem seems to lie with the new Chairperson of the Tribal Council, Myra Pearson.

I have also gone to many parkboard softball games in Devils Lake (that has many teams playing from Spirit Lake) and you look at what they are wearing...hats with the current UND logo or the old Blackhaw logo on it, or they wear lots of t shirts with the logo on it. It would be great if the Tribal Council would really listen to the rest of the people on the reservation, and not have tunnel vision that doesn't go beyond the meeting room.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am originally from Devils Lake and have many Sioux friends from the Spirit Lake Nation. Out of all my friends, none of them have a problem with the name. They feel the problem seems to lie with the new Chairperson of the Tribal Council, Myra Pearson.

I have also gone to many parkboard softball games in Devils Lake (that has many teams playing from Spirit Lake) and you look at what they are wearing...hats with the current UND logo or the old Blackhaw logo on it, or they wear lots of t shirts with the logo on it. It would be great if the Tribal Council would really listen to the rest of the people on the reservation, and not have tunnel vision that doesn't go beyond the meeting room.

that's called an agenda, also known as politics, also known as horse s&!t

I was thinking today, as an alum and huge Sioux fan , why do we still want to honor the Sioux nation when they don't seem to care about it? Why do we want to honor a group who turns their backs on the University of North Dakota? I think the only thing that is hostile and abusive is our relationship with the Sioux nation. We spend all of our time kissing their butts and they show no interest. Sounds a lot like an abusive relationship to me. What have the Sioux done for us lately? It is really going to suck if we see the Sioux tradition go away but I am to the point were I don't care anymore. The Sioux aren't fighting for UND they are fighting against UND. Why do we want their name again?

Amen bother. Let them fade into history if that's what they want. Change it.