SiouxSports.com Forum

This Year's Draft

Sioux

I was wondering how UND will serve in this year's draft...i know toews is as high as 1 or 2 overall...but other than that i am not sure. according to the latest ISS Forney is listed at 14 overall, but i am wondering about Zajac(he is over 18 already im sure...) and Trupp is supposed to be awesome, but does he have the size to be NHL? Then there is Marto who people have been skeptical about on his size and even talent, so is he out of the question?? Also Genoway, who i have not heard very much about...and by the sounds of it he could be all around marvin type. And finally LaPoint, who i am very curious about...being that his stock has risen incredibly in the last few months.

My thoughts are that if Toews continues to dominate at the Frozen Four like he has done so far in post season, he's your #1 overall pick. As for Trupp, he's probably another Ryan Duncan which is great for the Sioux but would likely go undrafted. Forney will probably be taken in the 1st round too.

My thoughts are that if Toews continues to dominate at the Frozen Four like he has done so far in post season, he's your #1 overall pick. As for Trupp, he's probably another Ryan Duncan which is great for the Sioux but would likely go undrafted. Forney will probably be taken in the 1st round too.

Toews, LaPoint, and Forney go in the 7th round and decide to stay at UND for 4 years... ;)

From hockeysfuture.com:

1 Erik Johnson, Defense

Height: 6-4, Weight: 222, Current Team: USNTDP (USA)

2 Jonathan Toews, Forward

Height: 6-1, Weight: 195, Current Team: University of North Dakota

3 Phil Kessel, Center

Height: 6-0, Weight: 189, Current Team: University of Minnesota (WCHA)

4 Jordan Staal, Center

Height: 6-4, Weight: 209, Current Team: Peterborough Petes (OHL)

5 Peter Mueller, Center

Height: 6-2, Weight: 200, Current Team: Everett Silvertips (WHL)

6 Michael Frolik, Right Wing

Height: 6-1, Weight: 187, Current Team: Kladno (CZE)

7 Nicklas Backstrom, Center

Height: 6-0, Weight: 183, Current Team: Brynas (SWE)

8 James Sheppard, Left Wing

Height: 6-2, Weight: 201, Current Team: Cape Breton (QMJHL)

9 Bryan Little, Center

Height: 5-10, Weight: 194, Current Team: Barrie Colts (OHL)

10 Kyle Okposo, Right Wing

Height: 6-0, Weight: 195, Current Team: Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)

11 Alexander Vasyunov, Left Wing

Height: 6-0, Weight: 187, Current Team: Yaroslavl (RUS)

12 Bob Sanguinetti, Defense

Height: 6-2, Weight: 182, Current Team: Owen Sound Attack (OHL)

13 Mike Forney, Left Wing

Height: 6-2, Weight: 185, Current Team: Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)

14 Jiri Tlusty, Left Wing

Height: 6-1, Weight: 185, Current Team: Kladno (CZE)

15 Derick Brassard, Center

Height: 6-0, Weight: 174, Current Team: Drummondville Voltiguers (QMJHL)

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?s...hreaded&order=0

My thoughts:

Those who are or barely are draft eligible (realistically. I guess there's no real reason without using google, that anyone over 19 can't be drafted):

Zach Jones is draft eligible. If he's going to be drafted at all, look for him to be drafted later than the 5th round.

Jonathon Toews: I know he's listed as being the projected #2 pick overall, but I see him going #3 or #4. No real reason why. Hunch.

Michael Forney, IMO, is listed too high. I've seen him as high as #13 overall, and as low as perhaps #30? People have said anywhere from mid first round to early 2nd round. I think I'll hold to that.

Genoway and Marto won't be drafted.

Trupp and Lapoint will be drafted but I see them being something like 3rd or 4th round picks.

Zajac? I could see him going in the 5th round and I can also see him going undrafted. This is anyone's guess.

My hunches.

My thoughts:

Those who are or barely are draft eligible (realistically. I guess there's no real reason without using google, that anyone over 19 can't be drafted):

Zach Jones is draft eligible. If he's going to be drafted at all, look for him to be drafted later than the 5th round.

Jonathon Toews: I know he's listed as being the projected #2 pick overall, but I see him going #3 or #4. No real reason why. Hunch.

Michael Forney, IMO, is listed too high. I've seen him as high as #13 overall, and as low as perhaps #30? People have said anywhere from mid first round to early 2nd round. I think I'll hold to that.

Genoway and Marto won't be drafted.

Trupp and Lapoint will be drafted but I see them being something like 3rd or 4th round picks.

Zajac? I could see him going in the 5th round and I can also see him going undrafted. This is anyone's guess.

My hunches.

Toews, won't go any lower than number three and that will only happen if the two top teams want a blue chip Dman and pick Johnson and Staal one and two. If St Louis or Chicago gets the number one pick Toews could go number one as they need talent up front. Pittsburgh clearly needs help on their blueline ASAP as do others and Johnson and Staal are both ready to step right into the NHL.

Toews, won't go any lower than number three and that will only happen if the two top teams want a blue chip Dman and pick Johnson and Staal one and two. If St Louis or Chicago gets the number one pick Toews could go number one as they need talent up front. Pittsburgh clearly needs help on their blueline ASAP as do others and Johnson and Staal are both ready to step right into the NHL.

The Staal that is being referred to in this year's draft is not a defencemen. He is the younger brother of the D-man that played in the WJC. Jordan Staal is the same age as Toews and has actually played in the same league as Toews when they were bantams, i.e., the Manitoba AAA. Toews should go higher than Staal based on the fact that he has always been a superior hockey player and he did play in the WJC. Jordan Staal did not play in the WJC and has never performed at the same level as Toews when they have played with each other or against each other, whether that was in league play or at the national level. Why he is suddenly rated higher than Toews by some of these scouting organizations is beyond me.

The Staal that is being referred to in this year's draft is not a defencemen. He is the younger brother of the D-man that played in the WJC. Jordan Staal is the same age as Toews and has actually played in the same league as Toews when they were bantams, i.e., the Manitoba AAA. Toews should go higher than Staal based on the fact that he has always been a superior hockey player and he did play in the WJC. Jordan Staal did not play in the WJC and has never performed at the same level as Toews when they have played with each other or against each other, whether that was in league play or at the national level. Why he is suddenly rated higher than Toews by some of these scouting organizations is beyond me.

You are correct :D In that case Toews won't go any lower than number two. :ohmy: