SiouxSports.com Forum

UND_UAA Friday game

SiouxperFan

First period recap

At 6:27 of the first period UND scores!!! Notermann, Schneider, Massen.

8:34 Johnson scores for UAA

10:53 Fuher, Spiewak for UND a deflection

11:54 UND on power play

NO GOAL Sioux 14 shots on net UAA 8

UND on power play

NO goal

Shots on goal UND 14 UAA 9

2-1 UND

Sounds like Brandt is playing great. Made some early saves. UAA must be playing pretty good, but I think they will be tired early in the second.

Early in the 2nd Hale feeds McMahon for a shorthanded chance and Tim says McMahon's blade came off his stick.

I know this happens occasionally, but I saw this happen to Massen on an almost sure-thing PP goal chance against CC and it seems like it has happened a number of other times to players too.

Anyone else seem like this is happening a lot to Sioux players, or just me?

Second Period

Penalty :19 Massen Slash

Short handed goal 1:38 Notermann, Greene

UND penalty 2:51 on Green, Interference

UAA penalty 2:59 Perez

UND penalty too many men

Sioux Scores Schneider, Parise,

UAA slash 11:25 Steward

Power play

UND PP goal 11:57 Parise, Lundbohm, Schneider

UND Goal 14:50 Massen, Notermann,

UND 6 UAA 1

Lets go Notes Hat trick, Hat trick The Sioux are on Fire. They have taken charge.

My buddy sent me this article from the AA newspaper. Lucky this kid didn't get hit in the head. What's up with that?:

UAA ties mark

11-2 THROTTLING: 20 straight games without a victory for Seawolves.

By Doyle Woody

Anchorage Daily News

(Published: January 18, 2003)

The Seawolves' night at Sullivan Arena began with a sign falling from the scoreboard above center ice, striking the foot of sophomore Pavel Hlavacek as he skated out for warmups and knocking him out of action.

It promptly went downhill from there.

The juggernaut that is North Dakota punished UAA 11-2 on Friday for the Seawolves' most lopsided loss since joining the Western Collegiate Hockey Association 10 years ago.

And while we're on the subject of insult added to injury, the Seawolves' loss also tied a program record for futility. It ran their winless streak to 20 games, which matches the skid of two seasons ago.

Double ouch.

The 11 goals surrendered matched the most UAA has given up in a game since joining the WCHA.

If it's any consolation -- and it probably isn't -- it's not as if the Seawolves succumbed to a bunch of chumps. The Fighting Sioux arrived ranked No. 3 in the nation, fresh off a recent school-record 16-game unbeaten streak and boasting the nation's third-deadliest offense. They possess the nation's rookie sensation in center Zach Parise, who racked up his third hat trick this season, plus an assist, and showed why he is ticketed as a first-round NHL draft pick next summer.

Also, North Dakota senior wing Jason Notermann recorded his first career hat trick and a career-high five points. Thirteen of North Dakota's 18 skaters scored at least one point.

And did we mention the Fighting Sioux, who won national championships under coach Dean Blais in 1997 and 2000, dress a defensive corps that averages 6-feet-11/2 inches and 211 pounds, and is both agile and hostile? The only blueliner who didn't score a point for North Dakota was junior David Hale, who is merely a first-round pick of the New Jersey Devils.

"They'll be competing in the Frozen Four," said UAA goaltender Kevin Reiter. "They were flying. The speed was definitely turned up a notch."

The timing could not have been worse for the Seawolves, who basically played with four defensemen, all of them freshmen, because of injuries and suspensions.

Even so, the Sioux led just 2-1 through one period and the Seawolves found themselves hanging with a team that is now tied for the league lead with No. 2-ranked Colorado College.

But on a night when rain fell outside the rink, the Sioux quickly rained on the charade that the Seawolves could hang with them. North Dakota strafed UAA and Reiter for four goals in the second period and put five pucks past backup goalie Chris King in the third period.

"We were just very loose in the defensive zone and you can't be against a team like North Dakota," said UAA coach John Hill. "That's why they had 110 goals (in 24 games) coming in."

While the Sioux improved to 20-2-3 overall and 10-2-3 in the WCHA, UAA dropped to 1-13-7 overall and 0-11-6 in league, and fell into the WCHA basement entering tonight's rematch.

UAA lost twice at North Dakota in November, but those 4-2 and 1-0 defeats were not humiliations. Friday, the Sioux humbled the home team.

"Something we're really proud of is our depth," Parise said. "We've got four good lines and we can come at you in waves."

The Seawolves were caught in the undertow. Freshman wing Justin Johnson presented a bright spot, though, with his first two career goals, and freshman walk-on defenseman Daron Underwood shined.

And although the Seawolves were outshot 41-28, they generated quality chances, even if they couldn't get much past North Dakota goalie Jake Brandt, who shut them out in Grand Forks.

"I may be losing my mind, but I didn't think it was an 11-2 game," Hill said. "I thought we had a lot of scoring opportunities."

But it was the Sioux who cashed in again, and again, and again.

"As the old saying goes, if you shoot the puck enough, it'll go in," Notermann said. "Tonight was one of those cases where we got bounces and our shots didn't go wide, or get stopped by the goalies. We capitalized on most of our opportunities."

Assistant sports editor Doyle Woody can be reached at dwoody@adn.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UND 2 4 5 -- 11

UAA 1 0 1 -- 2

First Period -- 1, UND, Notermann 9 (Schneider, Massen), 6:27; 2, UAA, J. Johnson 1 (Digel), 8:34; 3, UND, Fuher 6 (Spiewak, McMahon), 10:53. Penalties -- Digel, UAA (slashing), 11:54; Stuchlik, UAA (high-sticking), 16:17.

Second Period -- 4, UND, Notermann 10 (Greene), 1:38 (sh); 5, UND, Schneider 8 (Parise, Fuher), 9:32; 6, UND, Parise 16 (Schneider, Lundbohm), 11:57 (pp); 7, UND, Massen 12 (Notermann), 14:50. Penalties -- Massen, UND (slashing), :19; Greene, UND (interference), 2:47; Parez, UAA (high-sticking), 2:59; UND bench minor, served by Prpich (too many men), 6:39; Steward, UAA (slashing), 11:25.

Third Period -- 8, UND, Bochenski 27 (Fylling), 1:47; 9, UND, Notermann 11 (Jones), 4:00; 10, UND, Parise 17, 7:51; 11, UAA, J. Johnson 2 (Ober, Underwood), 9:17; 12, UND, Lundbohm 9 (Notermann), 14:41; 13, UND, Parise 17, 14:54. Penalties -- .

Shots on goal -- UND 14-11-16 -- 41; UAA 9-9-10 -- 28.

Power-play Opportunities -- UND 1 of 4; UAA 0 of 3.

Goalies -- UND, Brandt, 8-1-2 (28 shots-26 saves); UAA, Reiter, 1-12-4 (25-19), King, enter start 3rd period (16-11).

A -- 3,887.

Referee -- Todd Anderson. Assistant referees -- Brent Johnson, Scott Sivulich.

Early in the 2nd Hale feeds McMahon for a shorthanded chance and Tim says McMahon's blade came off his stick.

I know this happens occasionally, but I saw this happen to Massen on an almost sure-thing PP goal chance against CC and it seems like it has happened a number of other times to players too.

Anyone else seem like this is happening a lot to Sioux players, or just me?

Someone should tell these guys to start using Synergy's.