SiouxSports.com Forum

Checking from behind

PCM

I've tried not to frame this as a "UND is getting screwed by the officiating" issue. Heck, if I wanted to do that, I'd think McLeod's desire to return to the status quo would be great because of all the CFB penalties called on the Sioux this season. I wouldn't even have brought it up here.

When I hear McLeod say that the WCHA has gone from 9 to 90 CFB penalties in one season, my reaction is not that the penalty is being called too often. My reaction is that the WCHA has a major problem with CFB, probably because it hasn't been called nearly as often as it should.

What happened to Bina at last year's Final Five and the two-minute minor assessed by Adam should have been a "Here's your sign!" moment for Greg Shepherd and McLeod. As much as I hate to admit it, the NCAA got the message and the WCHA didn't.

If I had faith that giving officials more latitude would solve the problem, I'd be all for it. But before that happens, I'd like to see some evidence that coaches are teaching players how to avoid CFB penalities, players are engaging in it far less often and the on-ice officials have a better understanding of when the major penalty should apply and when it shouldn't.

It's going to take more than one season to convince me that all those things are happening and that the danger to players has been significantly reduced.

Just to be clear, I wasn't reading that you made this into an issue where the Sioux are being screwed. Nor did I intend to make that point myself.

My point was that if McLeod's attitude is that there was an overreaction to the Bina incident, he may not be fit to lead the WCHA. We've all felt that the officiating in this league is less than the quality of the hockey being played. My point was maybe it's time for McLeod to go, and if he went, maybe we'd get a commissioner who wanted to raise officiating to the same plane that the hockey is played on. It's in this argument that I meant to head off the accusations that this is just another Sioux fan complaining about the refs again. It's not.

Better officiating for the whole league would benefit everyone.

It's in this argument that I meant to head off the accusations that this is just another Sioux fan complaining about the refs again. It's not.

Better officiating for the whole league would benefit everyone.

I agree. I wasn't so much responding to you as agreeing with you and trying to head off the same criticism.

Thank you for proving my point, Mr. McLeod. Trust in the Powers That be to protect the players.

So, how many of you guys still believe The Man truly is interested in protecting players?

Which "Man" are you talking about? Obviously, the NCAA is interested in protecting players because it made checking from behind a point of emphasis. I don't believe that McLeod is totally oblivious to the safety of players. I just don't think he's taking it as seriously as he should.

To me, it's a question of fixing the system to protect the players by holding the leadership of the WCHA accountable. Coaches can help do that. Players and their families can help do that. The media can help do that. And we, as fans, can help do it, too.

Throwing open the doors of vigilante justice isn't going to make the game safer for anyone.

Which "Man" are you talking about? Obviously, the NCAA is interested in protecting players because it made checking from behind a point of emphasis. I don't believe that McLeod is totally oblivious to the safety of players. I just don't think he's taking it as seriously as he should.

To me, it's a question of fixing the system to protect the players by holding the leadership of the WCHA accountable. Coaches can help do that. Players and their families can help do that. The media can help do that. And we, as fans, can help do it, too.

Throwing open the doors of vigilante justice isn't going to make the game safer for anyone.

if they would just call the games the way the rules are written, and stop puting all of these "emphasis on ...." we wouldn't have a problem. But in recent history the better skilled players would get mugged and nothing would get called (i.e. parise) they put an emphasis on clutch and grab. IT WAS ALREADY IN THE RULE BOOK. Now that Bina had his neck broken and a 2 minute penalty called, they put an emphasis on CFB....IT TOO, WAS ALREADY IN THE RULE BOOK!! The situational officiating and the officials just trying their damndest to affect the outcome of a game "indirectly" is the problem, not the rules in place.

i have seen just three sioux games this season, 2 in person, one on tv and in all 3 the sioux have been called for a checking from behind penatly. 2 of the 3 should not, in anyway, have been a checking from behind penalty. yes, the players safety needs to be looked out for, but having a guy tossed for a, questionable at best, call is ridiculous.