SiouxSports.com Forum

Mississippi College will remain Choctaws

PCM

From the Clarion-Ledger:

MC wins appeal to keep 'Choctaws'

Mississippi College, with the support of the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians, won an appeal to the NCAA on Friday to keep the nickname Choctaws.

"We're very happy about it," said MC president Lee G. Royce. "It's a great thing to continue to carry the Choctaw name, as we have since 1920.

"We're pleased the NCAA has given us an exception to the rule."

Each of the schools that has won its appeal has had an endorsement from a Native American group. The NCAA's statement indicated that was the determining factor in MC's case.

"We approached Chief (Philip) Martin (of the Philadelphia-based Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians) about whether they would allow us to continue to use their name," Royce said.

"He was very receptive. Their Tribal Council passed a resolution fully endorsing our use of the name. We submitted that to the NCAA."

Here's the NCAA news release issued Friday with a statement from Bernard Franklin, senior vice-president for governance and membership.

Now it only takes the approval of 1 band or tribe? Did they consult any other band of Choctaw? Does this mean that they will approve the UND appeal because Spirit Lake isn't opposing? What happens if either Spirit Lake or Standing Rock actually gives their approval?

In those instances in which a tribe endorses the use of its name and associated imagery, the NCAA defers to the judgment and will of the tribe.

From this statement in the news release it seems like it will only take 1 tribe to get the NC$$ out of this issue, at least for a little while.

From this statement in the news release it seems like it will only take 1 tribe to get the NC$$ out of this issue, at least for a little while.

The NC$$ is only digging itself deeper in it's own $hit with this type of 'exception to the rule'. Spirit Lake has never dissolved their resolution to not oppose our use of the Sioux name yet the NC$$ continues to turn down our appeals.

Based on the NC$$'s history with our appeals, I'm fairly certain that they will turn down our final appeal. I can't wait until we take them to court. Their hypocrisy will be hung out for every one to see. As they continue to make 'exceptions' to the rules, our win in court becomes more and more a certainty.

The NC$$ is only digging itself deeper in it's own $hit with this type of 'exception to the rule'. Spirit Lake has never dissolved their resolution to not oppose our use of the Sioux name yet the NC$$ continues to turn down our appeals.

Based on the NC$$'s history with our appeals, I'm fairly certain that they will turn down our final appeal. I can't wait until we take them to court. Their hypocrisy will be hung out for every one to see. As they continue to make 'exceptions' to the rules, our win in court becomes more and more a certainty.

But they refused to comment on it, which, to the pro nickname change crowd AND the NCAA, qualifies as a No vote.

In any case, the court case, which only fools would not be preparing for, must be run and planned very carefully by the UND side. We can't screw it up.

But they refused to comment on it, which, to the pro nickname change crowd AND the NCAA, qualifies as a No vote.

In any case, the court case, which only fools would not be preparing for, must be run and planned very carefully by the UND side. We can't screw it up.

Yes, they refused to comment on it during this process. But the resolution passed in 2000 still stands as the official position of the tribe. A court would recognize that resolution instead of a no comment in 2005. I am sure that UND will use these facts as part of their legal battle, along with all of the other issues mentioned in the last appeal.

• 1 month later...

CHOCTAWS - A Native American people formerly inhabiting central and southern Mississippi and southwest Alabama, with present-day populations in Mississippi and southeast Oklahoma. The Choctaw were removed to Indian Territory in the 1830s.

:D what is this?

SIOUX - A group of Native American peoples, also known as the Dakota, inhabiting the northern Great Plains from Minnesota to eastern Montana and from southern Saskatchewan to Nebraska. Present-day Sioux populations are located mainly in North and South Dakota.

its strikingly familiar ik but...

What does SIOUX really stand for?

i understand this is a very broad question but if someone could answer it for me ill be back soon