SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympic Hockey

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game over. . . .7-3 Sweden!

Biggest difference in this game, Sweden showed up to play right away! Czech's, for the most part, played an uninspired 1st period. I felt they played their best hockey in the 2nd period. The score very easily could have been 5-4 in the 2nd, as Lundqvist absolutely robbed Jan Bulis from point blank range. Sweden then stormed down and scored immediately after to make it 6-3. . . straw that broke the camel's back! Anyway, Sweden moves on to play for Gold and Czech's will play for Bronze. From the looks of it, Sweden will be very tough to beat, they are just so deep and any one of them is VERY capable of scoring! I think Alfredsson was the only one that had more than one goal, so they had 6 different scorers. Impressive!!

TSiouxnami, thanks for the updates all morning.

Nice to see Sweden take a Silver in Women's and the Men will take at least that back to "The Land of the Midnight Sun"!

Now on to the next important tilt of the today.....Go Sioux! Beat DU!

So who IS your team? I'm a Red Wings guy myself and have to be honest, Chelios I like, but I'm glad that Ken Holland decided one season was enough of Derian Hatcher.

Flyers fans have been fairly pleased with Hatcher's play this season. He has never been able to skate or move the puck but we only need him to remain healthy. He is able to eat up a ton of ice time and still likes to hit. Depth on the blueline killed the Flyers during their last palyoff run and is killing them this year as well. For the past two months they have had to play 2-3 minor leaguer defensemen every night because of injuries. These guys just aren't ready yet. Thus, a healthy Derian Hatcher is a godsend in spite of his immobility. If his plastic knees go during the next two months it is all over. I'm just waiting for Forsberg to shred his groins during the next two days.

Fookin olympics.

Flyers fans have been fairly pleased with Hatcher's play this season. He has never been able to skate or move the puck but we only need him to remain healthy. He is able to eat up a ton of ice time and still likes to hit. Depth on the blueline killed the Flyers during their last palyoff run and is killing them this year as well. For the past two months they have had to play 2-3 minor leaguer defensemen every night because of injuries. These guys just aren't ready yet. Thus, a healthy Derian Hatcher is a godsend in spite of his immobility. If his plastic knees go during the next two months it is all over. I'm just waiting for Forsberg to shred his groins during the next two days.

Fookin olympics.

Hey NDFlyer, perhaps you can write an e-mail to Bobby Clarke and tell him to get rid of those HIDEOUS black jerseys and get back to the Flyers that everyone remembers...the orange-clad ones!

Most fans agree with you and want the old orange away jerseys back. Getting sick of every team having a black alternate jersey.

Even the new orange "alternate" isn't that bad. I'm not sure why the Flyers even thought that switching the regular color was a good idea. Now they look like every other team with a black jersey...Anaheim (alternate), Buffalo, Chicago...

Your updates are getting me thru the day, my friend.

I'm torn...while I've always wanted Finland to finally win the big one, I just don't know if I can cheer for a team with Jarrko Ruutu on its roster.

Glad I can help you out! I too am a bit torn. I have a REALLY hard time going for Russia in anything. However, I agree with you on Ruutu. In a way, I would like a Russia/Sweden final and would like to see Sweden win it all. I think the announcers were saying that the gentleman that coached Belarus to their upset over Sweden in the 2002 Olympics is now coaching Russia. Anyway, would kind of be nice for them to exact a little revenge I guess? :blush:

Belarus...whatever happened to them anyways? I enjoyed watching them in 2002, then they fell off the map. Wasn't there something about Nike donating uniforms to the country since they couldn't afford to pay for them?

And is it just me or do some of the uniforms (Germany, Italy, and maybe Finland) have screen-printed names and numbers?

1st period over, Finland up 1-0 over Russia. Russia took another interference penalty with 8 seconds to go in the period, so Finland will start #2 with a man advantage for 1:52.

I have to give that period to the Finns. They look strong, lots of hard hitting and lots of great scoring chances. Russia also looks pretty good, hitting just as hard, but didn't have quite as many scoring chances. The Finns are doing a good job defensively. Ovechkin is being shadowed, so he has had few chances. When he gets some free ice though, look out! Both goalies are playing well (Nittymaki for Finland and Nabokov for Russia.) Another exciting game with lots of back and forth action!

Belarus...whatever happened to them anyways? I enjoyed watching them in 2002, then they fell off the map. Wasn't there something about Nike donating uniforms to the country since they couldn't afford to pay for them?

And is it just me or do some of the uniforms (Germany, Italy, and maybe Finland) have screen-printed names and numbers?

I would guess Belarus did not qualify. I think some of the lower teams have to play some sort of Olympic Qualification Tourney?? I could be wrong though. As for the uniforms, they sure look screen-printed to me. Not sure if that is the new trend or what?