SiouxSports.com Forum

Finley?

usiel

As a caps fan I was just curious about how he's looked so far during his Freshman season?

Perhaps more so than any of the 13 freshman, Finley has looked better than expected. (Possible exception Oshie)

BTW, I just got center ice and you have one kick a$$ rookie.

Hey sounds great. Thanks for the quick replies. Pokulok and Finley were both considered reaches at least by some pundits but sounds like they are both playing well.

Heheh, yeah Ovechkin is a monster right now. If we could only resolve the A. Semin issue and get him over here then we'd have a bit better offensive attack. Though i think the caps are looking at a likely bottom 5 finish however.

Hey sounds great. Thanks for the quick replies. Pokulok and Finley were both considered reaches at least by some pundits but sounds like they are both playing well.

Heheh, yeah Ovechkin is a monster right now. If we could only resolve the A. Semin issue and get him over here then we'd have a bit better offensive attack. Though i think the caps are looking at a likely bottom 5 finish however.

Finley wasn't that much of a stretch when you look at the predraft numbers. Finley was projected to be an early second rounder that moved up to the late first round. Not that high. What I believe pundits meant when they said it was a stretch was that they probably felt Washington need to make a run at a "quick fix" draft pick. Meaning one that wasn't so much of a project and could probably make the jump to the NHL level 1 or 2 years after turning pro. Finley has been REALLY good and reliable for the most part, especially in his own end. He also can shoot the puck, but despite the shot being a pretty hard one, I wouldn't count on him as being offensively minded by any means.

However, if you are a Caps fan, Finley is going to take some time to develop. If the Caps were wise, they'd allow Finley to play all four years at UND and then send him for a year at the AHL level before even thinking about having him suit up for the Caps.

Hope that helps.

If the Caps were wise, they'd allow Finley to play all four years at UND and then send him for a year at the AHL level before even thinking about having him suit up for the Caps.

If the Caps were wise...or if UND is REALLY lucky?? :)

Seriously I'd add Chorney to the list of people who are performing better than expected. Considering the hype Lee got, I think Chorney was an extremely pleasant surprise.

All in all Finley has been a quality rook. He does move well, and is smart. My only knock is that he doesn't use his size extremely well yet (probably to avoid penalties) and that he has had a couple lapses of judgment. He'll be a stud, and IF WE'RE REALLY LUCKY a 4 year player. He was a first rounder remember.

I think Finley will have a chance to play all four years as the caps have been lucky and have some young d-men breaking into the NHL this year in Eminger/Green/Morrisson and potentially Schultz next year. They can afford to their top 2 2005 picks some time to develop.