SiouxSports.com Forum

WJC: USA selection

PHX Brad

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I was wondering if anyone had heard/read about how Matt Jones was selected for team USA for the WJC. I read on uscho that he was one of the locks for the team. I think that was solidified when I read a post here stating that Blais said he would be on the team (weeks before any official announcement).

I said all that to say that someone from another message board had read that Matt was a "surprise pick" and "was the last defenseman chosen. The US this year built their plan on the same concept Brooks used for the "miracle on ice" team and went with character and team first guys over some bigger names."

Also, another poster was wondering if Matt would go across the locker room and say something to Higgins? ???

You guys are having a great season, good luck in the second half. Thanks for any info on Matt.

I think if there was a suprise pick off the Sioux team it would be Matt Greene, not Jones. But I'm not tapped in so what do I know.

Seemed common knowledge for some time, as you say, that Jones and Parise would be on that team. Greene's name seemed to surface here very recently.

I agree with dagies that it was Matt Greene, not Matt Jones, who was the last-minute surprise pick for the WJC team. Parise and Jones were known for quite some time.

On one of the coaches shows several weeks ago, Blais said that he thought Greene might be selected as an alternate. After it was announced that Greene was selected for the team, Blais said it was because Jeff Sauer, one of the US assistant coaches, wanted a defensive pair that had played together.

Also, I think Jones can say pretty much anything he wants to Higgins with Greene around. ???