SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Hockey WCHA----is it really that good?

SiouxFootballField

You are right about DI-A teams, the top teams in I-A are more professional than college.  But I don't know if I-AA is that big of a jump from D-II.  I have heard Dale Lennon talk about how the jump from D-II to DI-AA is not as big as it sounds.  Also, there are a lot of non-scholarship "D-IAA" programs (like Valparaiso) that are a joke compared to programs like ours.  Yes, programs like NDSU have hurdles to climb in their move to Division I (finances, scheduling, etc.) but I think their football program will become competitive at the I-AA level at some point within the next 5 to 8 years.  Their other programs will probably never contend nationally like they used to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just some background before I delve into my response. I'm a Sioux hockey season ticket holder who graduated from UMD. This may be hard for UND and NDSU grads to grasp, but I chear for both programs in all sports. Hey I'm form North Dakota. :huh:

Now back to the topic. I agree that the fully funded DII schools are close and would compete at the DIAA level. I also think that a fully funded DIAA school can compete with most DIA foootball teams. The top 50 in DIA are probably untouchable, but a top DIAA team can compete with all the other DIA teams. Look at last weeks Montana St. vs. Oklahoma St. game. Very close and Montana St. is not a top ten DIAA team. :lol:

Also, your quote that NDSU football will be competitive at the IAA level in the next 5 to 8 years. Give me a break. :lol: It would be hard for a UND fan to show that NDSU is not competitive right now. They finished last year ranked in the top 25 and are currently ranked 20. Now polls don't mean much but its all we have to compare teams nationally. Will NDSU win multiple national titles in DIAA? I don't know. Will they be making the payoffs consistently? I think they will.

All other sports, that's a different story. Womens BB will be competitive, as will wrestling, and mens and womens track. The rest, I don't think so.

I'd be happy to continue this debate but the hockey board is not the right place for it.

Also, your quote that NDSU football will be competitive at the IAA level in the next 5 to 8 years.  Give me a break.  :lol:  It would be hard for a UND fan to show that NDSU is not competitive right now.  They finished last year ranked in the top 25 and are currently ranked 20.

roper1313,

So the Bison finished 8-3 last year playing a creampuff schedule that included Montana Tech (NAIA), Valparaiso (D-IAA non-scholarship) and South Dakota State (a very weak D-IAA probationary team) and that proves that they are competitive? Give ME a break! :D

If the Bison are so good and competitive right now, they should have went 11-0 with that schedule. I don't care what the polls say, national polls are usually not accurate. Just wait until NDSU starts playing legitimate D-IAA programs on a regular basis and they'll realize that there is a learning curve to moving up one whole division. Look at Northern Colorado. They were a D-II powerhouse and looked decent at first, but I think they finished 2-8 last year. NDSU will be competitive on a national level, but it won't happen without some growing pains first.

This is my last comment on this thread since this is a hockey board. Perhaps we can take this conversation over to a different board?

I'm a big UND fan, but something about UND hockey is bothering me around the campus and GF that Sioux hockey is beyond Sioux football.

There both well run clubs, and have had tons of success.  But the Sioux Football should really be the crown of UND and GF.

For hockey at that level it's interesting how many hockey schools at all levels, and the watchers from ESPN to be for sure follow the sport and make it like this is the best amateur hockey level in the world, when the CHL-----western hockey league, ontario hockey league, and quebec major league for sure has the best players, and the best teams, the best coaches, and the best competition with more on the line.

The games are extremely huge up there where even some bad teams play in similar venues as the Ralph.

Any CHL team that is not rebuilding would cream the Sioux!!!

Where as the Sioux Football at this level, and overall conference play is superiout, and well more important for GF and UND.

Let's hear what Sioux fans have to say.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...you're an idiot