SiouxSports.com Forum

A Super Conference

Brent_Bobyck

I recently heard University of Missouri's AD on ESPN Radio discuss the possibility of a D-1 super conference that would include all of the major football programs. Miami, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, USC, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. all would be included from the sounds of it. They would form this conference and move out of the NCAA. I am assuming there would be many sub conferences similar to the Big 10, Big 12, etc.

Would this work?

If so, how would it work?

I think this would be a terrific idea but there would be a lot of logistics to work out. They would have to come up with a governing body, which teams in which conferences, etc. Would TV rights be effected with ABC, Fox Sports Net, ESPN, etc. I am guessing that the entire athletic program would have to pull out of the NCAA, not just football. How would this effect things.

This would also weed out the teams in D-1 that never compete for a national title like the MAC Conference.

In the end, I think there are too many logistics to overcome to make this happen. Look how much it took for Miami, Boston College, and Va Tech to go to the ACC. That was not a smooth transition because of legal action taken by the Big East. Take that times 10 and I believe that is what you would have with this.

What do you think?

Not sure why the Missouri AD would be talking about it. Not sure why any team from the Big 12 North would be considering it actually. Probably the weakest division of any major conference in years. By the looks of it Iowa State has the best team.

The talk in the past was that there would be a higher division. A true 1A. Won't happen though. Not while we're alive.

This has been a rumor for awhile (kind of like the Big Ten hockey conference). I'd say there is a chance of this happening in the future if for no other reason than the potential money those schools could make. These major conferences know they are the primary source of money to the NCAA. As long as the teams in the conferences get what they perceive to be their fair share of the NC$$ money, these conferences would likely stay put. The more likely scenario than these schools leaving is for them to seriously threaten leaving and forcing the NCAA to give into some sort of demands by these schools. I'd be very surprised if the NCAA didn't do everything possible to keep these teams because if they left the NCAA's huge TV deal with CBS for the men's basketball tournament would disappear thus removing the NCAA's primary source of income.