Minot 4, Central 1

South 4, Devils Lake 2

GPR 5, Williston 1

RR 3, Bismarck 2 (Shots 36 to 17)

South 2, Minot 3

RR 4, GPR 2

RR 4, Minot 2

Refer back to after weekend!

Boy, you might be legally retarded! Minot WILL NOT make it past the 2nd round! They will probably beat Central pretty easily, but they will lose to South by at least 5! I'm not real sure how you can say that Red River will only beat Bismarck by 1, but I can tell you one thing. No Grand Forks team will win state this year.

Minot 4, Central 1

South 4, Devils Lake 2

GPR 5, Williston 1

RR 3, Bismarck 2 (Shots 36 to 17)

South 2, Minot 3

RR 4, GPR 2

RR 4, Minot 2

Refer back to after weekend!

minot may beat central but not south and bismarck will not score 2 goals against red river and even if hillman stands on his head they will score more then 3 goals

I would really like to know who you think the best goalie in the west is? I'm just curious, because I along with probably most of the posters on this board think otherwise. I'm not attacking you i'm just curious as to who you think is the best.

Well, I'd take Haugenoe, but let's look at the stats. Both have 92% save percentage. Haugenoe has 1.53 gaa, Hillman's is 2.06. Records: Hillman's is 9-8. Haugenoe is 10-4-1. You might try to say Haugenoe played on a better team, but I don't think so. I think those two teams are dead even. They played twice and each won on the road 3-1, I believe. Williston did have a better overall West season, and I think it was because, in great part, Haugenoe played better in important games than Hillman.

It may be too strong to say Hillman is worse than Haugenoe, but it's also too strong to say he's better. Stats just don't back it up. They're both good, and they'll both need to stand on their heads to win on Thursday, or just to keep their games close.

If they both lose, we can settle this on Friday, head to head!

Well, I'd take Haugenoe, but let's look at the stats. Both have 92% save percentage. Haugenoe has 1.53 gaa, Hillman's is 2.06. Records: Hillman's is 9-8. Haugenoe is 10-4-1. You might try to say Haugenoe played on a better team, but I don't think so. I think those two teams are dead even. They played twice and each won on the road 3-1, I believe. Williston did have a better overall West season, and I think it was because, in great part, Haugenoe played better in important games than Hillman.

It may be too strong to say Hillman is worse than Haugenoe, but it's also too strong to say he's better. Stats just don't back it up. They're both good, and they'll both need to stand on their heads to win on Thursday, or just to keep their games close.

If they both lose, we can settle this on Friday, head to head!

Who's the Mr. Hockey Finalists?

Who's the Mr. Hockey Finalists?

If there are only 4 finalists in a year and two are automatic bids, who's going to get screwed? Weisgarber and the guy from the west (name really doesn't matter because he wont win). Then who Mihulka, Campbell, and Galt gets screwed?

If there are only 4 finalists in a year and two are automatic bids, who's going to get screwed? Weisgarber and the guy from the west (name really doesn't matter because he wont win). Then who Mihulka, Campbell, and Galt gets screwed?

Galt will get screwed. how often are two finalists named from the same school? actually that would be good to know...does anyone know the last time two finalists were named from the same school?

Galt will get screwed. how often are two finalists named from the same school? actually that would be good to know...does anyone know the last time two finalists were named from the same school?

In 2004 Matt Moreland and Jordan McIntyre were both finalists for Mr. Hockey, both of them playing for Grand Forks Central. McIntyre went on to win Mr. Hockey.

From what I have been told the high schools provide reasonable priced eqipment such as helmets, hockey pants, and gloves. The players have to pay for their own sticks which are priced anywhere from $140-220. That is the price range for a "one-piece" hockey stick which is used by most players today at all levels above squirts. I have not seen a wood stick used by anyone so far this year.

Lane Smith of GFC uses a wood stick.

Last year and I believe in past years alos there have only been 3 Mr. Hockey finalists. Has something changed to where there is 4 this year?

I was told by Williston's coach (I do the play by play on radio for Williston) that the Finalists would be the West and East Sr. of year and two at larges. That's how I got my info. I assume the coaches know the process, but that is a change, yes, from three finalists.

I was told by Williston's coach (I do the play by play on radio for Williston) that the Finalists would be the West and East Sr. of year and two at larges. That's how I got my info. I assume the coaches know the process, but that is a change, yes, from three finalists.

My thinking all along was that four finalists would make more sense. I brought this issue up last fall. In some cases you might get a split vote for two candidates from the same region, thus putting them at a disadvantage, and so four theoretically makes more sense.

WILL NOT CANNOT BE STOPPED?? What the heck does that mean? It will be a South V Red River final again. And the best team will win (I hope RR) but unless, Congragts to the Bruins. By the way where is North for the 4th year in a row?, and W Fargo, as always. Grafton & GFC are here again, so don't knock Central for struggling to get to to state again, while other teams missed AGAIN! And moving the game to Fargo or Minot or Bismarck wouldn't change a thing!!!!

-Not really a fan of this last post. I'll tell you where Fargo North is, exactly where we thought they would be. Nobody was saying this team will be in the state tournament so your point is irrelevant. North really was not set up to succeed this season with only a few mentionable players. They were very young and should stand a better shot next year in the EDC.

- Where is West Fargo, recovering from a three day period in which they were forced to play Grand Forks Central, Grand Forks Red River, and Grafton. That is a hellacious draw for a 4 seed to try to make the state tournament. So don't try to compare this West Fargo team to the past WF teams. There was not a lot of talent in this group but they knew how they needed to play successfully and because of an upset on day 1 were held short of the state tournament. Don't try and put GFC up on their cross for playing well when they needed to, because frankly they did not. They are going to state ahead of a number 4 seed that beat them not once, not twice, but 3 times over the course of the season, all because they lost to that team on day 1 of the region tournament at home. I really do feel bad for these kids, I've called them a weak number 4 all season, but they won every game they should have this year but 1 against Fargo North where Welk stood on his head. I think people like you need to consider the situation before comparing a program on the rise to its predecessors.

-Coach of the Year in the East is an absolute joke this year. Wilson wouldn't have needed to go to practices this year for his team to be as good as they are. Richards from WF and Malm from Red River are far more deserving of this crown.

-All EDC team- Is Wurden all that good or is he just a product of the system? On any other year this kid would be all-conference but I really wouldn't take Galbreath, LaDoucer, Swanson, Petersen, or Galt off the list for him. With 5 other South players there it doesn't surprise me that he didn't make it. Potential snub Chris Wateland from Wahpeton with over 25 points he deserves a lot more than All-EDC for that point total coming from Wahpeton.

-Final thought- Where is the class of 2007? This year some truly great names are leaving North Dakota hockey. Just look at all EDC. The Class of 2008 is very strong with Galbreath, LaDoucer, Meland, Swanson, Powers, and Simonson just to name a few. But all EDC has no juniors on it. Let's just think Mr. Hockey 2007 pretty tough call if you ask me. Maybe McDougall from FS, or Hillman from BHS if he's still around.

In addition to what has already been posted about finalists from the same school for boys, last year there were two girl finalists from the same east region school. They did not win.

Life's not always fair! Yes, someone will get screwed. They won't lose an arm or leg. But, yes someone who is a very good senior hockey player will not be a Mr. Hockey finalist. You think that's never happened in some other sport or some other state before?

I think we all agree with you that life is not always fair and that sometimes people do not lose appendages because of it. Just the same, there are a few elementary procedures that can enhance the fairness of awards. The old process of three finalists could create problems based on regional issues (lack of contact for east coaches for some west players and vice versa for west coaches and some east players). Two players from one region can potentially dilute the vote for that region. An even number of players makes more sense. If this new process helps to enhance the fairness of the award, and I think it does, then I am all for it.