SiouxSports.com Forum

Jim Hester passes away

nodakvindy

Just saw on NFL.com that former Sioux and NFLer Jim Hester passed away. He played football and basketball at UND and was a teammate of Phil Jackson. As a relative youngster I never got to see him play, but have heard stories about him and know of the success of UND football and hoops at that time.

He was also an influential community leader in his hometown of Davenport, IA. Here is a link to another story from the Quad Cities Times.

Quad Cities Times

My prayers are with his family. Hopefully the Sioux will be able to win one over the Coyotes in his memory this weekend.

This is a guy I should remember but do not too much. I did see Phil Jackson play once in the winter of 1965 when he was a Sophomore for UND. Phil was so skinny and gangly guy, but he shot very good from the free line. The skinny kid got the inside shots and SDSU did a great job of fouling him as Phil seemed to be at free throw line a great deal that night. Thats about all I can recall.

It seem like there were at least 5 players of color on that UND team and that was very exceptional for 1965.

When I got out of military in1970, I could not believe that Phil Jackson was playing NBA ball as he came a long ways from start to finish in his basketball career

Hester if a sophomore may have been on that team that seemed to have been loaded with talent and well coached by Bill Fitch and Jimmy Rogers.