SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey in Football Stadiums

Smoggy

This week it has come out that Ford Field in Detroit will try and host the 2011 Frozen Four. Then watching the UW-DU game, they mentioned that Lambaeu(sp) may be hosting the Hall of Fame game next year featuring Wisconsin.

Should these events happen? It's been done twice to my knowledge and I suppose both were successful with lots of fans. Was it a good atmosphere though? The fans are a long ways away on a football field and hockey is more of an intimate game as trying to follow the puck on TV proves.

It just seems like a gimmick to me and I can't imagine paying good money to sit at the top of a football stadium trying to watch hockey.

The Frozen Four will never be held outside. The seats are too far away, and beer sales will suffer due to the cold. PLus the weather could be unseasonably warm...then the quality of the ice, and the quialty of play will suffer. The NCAA better be able to resist the $$ signs circling their heads when they think about selling 90,000 tickets to one game (which they would likely never do anyway unless they sold them REALLY cheap) and think about the integrity of the game and the impact that a quality fan experience has on ticket sales.

The Frozen Four will never be held outside.  The seats are too far away, and beer sales will suffer due to the cold.  PLus the weather could be unseasonably warm...then the quality of the ice, and the quialty of play will suffer.  The NCAA better be able to resist the $$ signs circling their heads when they think about selling 90,000 tickets to one game (which they would likely never do anyway unless they sold them REALLY cheap) and think about the integrity of the game and the impact that a quality fan experience has on ticket sales.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Ford Field was a roofed stadium?

I thought it was cool the first time it was done (Mich at Mich State), but now...<yawn>.

I really don't care if Wisconsin does it for the HOF game, but I think it's a bad idea to have the Frozen 4 at Ford Field. A football stadium is a terrible venue for a hockey game. I think we can all remember what happened the last time the Frozen 4 venue was chosen for publicity (Anaheim).

I think we can all remember what happened the last time the Frozen 4 venue was chosen for publicity (Anaheim).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure it was partly that, but it was also hosted by the Alaska Schools. Basically, their only chance to ever host.

Yeah, you could do it, but it just wouldn't be all that great in a football stadium, even if it was a dome. It's something that should be done only for special games, like the Cold War with Michigan-Mich State, and planed out in advance so that both schools have time to rally their fan bases to fill it up. But they should have the Frozen Four in a venue that was built for hockey. It would look better for the TV cameras that way.

Also, I believe there was also another outdoor game held sometime in the 70's or 80's in a soccer stadium with the Soviet Red Army team.