SiouxSports.com Forum

men's track--no Dressler

UND92,96

I see that the new track roster has been posted, and although there are (by my count) six football players listed, Dressler is not one of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Without a redshirt season, Dressler probably needs to concentrate on spring ball. Perhaps in years 2-5 he will run track (and in a new indoor facility!). Perhaps shawn Swann, in his 5th year, can also run track.

Without a redshirt season, Dressler probably needs to concentrate on spring ball. Perhaps in years 2-5 he will run track (and in a new indoor facility!). Perhaps shawn Swann, in his 5th year, can also run track.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope Dressler does eventually run, as he is probably the best high school sprinter in ND history (in my opinion). But he certainly wouldn't be the first outstanding track and field athlete not to compete while at UND. Jim Kleinsasser could have been a national champion in the discus and/or shot put. Ditto for Casey Blue. Both were ranked very highly nationally in the discus while in high school, and were both at or very near the 60-foot level as high school shot putters.

Don't jump the gun and say that Dressler is the best HS sprinter in history. He's up there but there have been many good ones. Chris Wilmes Beaulah, Aaron Dewald Thompson, Jerred Essler Minot Ryan and I could keep going. He really good but the best might be shorting some others. I would agree on the spring ball assessment. After that Track should be in the cards.

• 1 month later...

Although it would have been interesting to see what Dressler would have done in track this year, another UND football player is doing very well so far. Donovan Alexander has won the 55/60 meters at the last two meets, including a win over the guy who was the conference runner-up last year in the 60.

Even though football players may have been good sprinters in H.S. they usually are not good sprinters in college, simply because they play football. Usually, they end up putting on 10-20 lbs for football, and they completely lose their sprinting speed. It's really a shame that football ruins so much track talent. I hope they don't do it to chappell...he could be a national contender in the 400M hurdles if football doesn't mess him up...

Even though football players may have been good sprinters in H.S. they usually are not good sprinters in college, simply because they play football. Usually, they end up putting on 10-20 lbs for football, and they completely lose their sprinting speed. It's really a shame that football ruins so much track talent. I hope they don't do it to chappell...he could be a national contender in the 400M hurdles if football doesn't mess him up...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Football players can be successful at both track and football. Locally - NDSU's 4X4 (which has 3 football players on it) has a legit chance at a DI qualifying time. Also Schools like Florida, Miami, Auburn etc routinely have athletes do both.

I don't think Chappell will put on a lot of weight/bulk in college. It's hard to say for sure, of course, but I suspect he'll be like Phillip Moore in that regard. He definitely has huge potential as a 400 meter hurdler. He shattered an 18-year-old state record in the 300m hurdles last year as a junior, and could very well put the record out of reach for decades should he improve at all this year. Had he chosen to concentrate on track in college, I think he definitely could have gone to Minnesota or some other dI track power. If he can avoid injuries, he could do very well in track at UND, even without much of an indoor training facility.

The thing about Chappell in the hurdles is...he's breaking all these records in high school, but he's never had any real hurdle coaching. The coaches at Central do a good job, but Ryan would improve so much if he had a legit hurdles coach. Saying that his form needs a lot of work is putting it lightly...He's basically running on pure, raw talent...