SiouxSports.com Forum

WBB lose to SW State

sioux goo

[Really? It's not that bad. Southwest Minnesota State is 10-4 and already beat USD at USD. They are pretty good.

UND will be just fine.

SW state lost to St. Cloud St. 94-78...at St. Cloud but even though..and beating USD is a benchmark?? they lost the best player in the country along with another senior who did most of their scoring?? SW also lost to UMD, Augustana,and beat Upper Iowa 64-43...a team UND crushed what was it 100 to 40 something...had to have been a letdown after Christmas break...maybe different practices at different places affected them..

I was very disappointed in this loss but it appears we are all making an awfully big deal of it. As 92, 96 stated, we have had a tough time on the road often in recent years (in my opinion, because we haven't had a real team leader at the guard position - we have had good players but not Pudenz-type players who take charge when things get tough) plus we really have no depth.

If we can challenge for the NCC and make it a ways into the playoffs this year, that would be great! Next year, with the three recruits, Guinn back and our current players being more experienced, we could be outstanding!

I am not suggesting we write off this year, but we simply aren't as good as usual this year!

I was very disappointed in this loss but it appears we are all making an awfully big deal of it.  As 92, 96 stated, we have had a tough time on the road often in recent years (in my opinion, because we haven't had a real team leader at the guard position - we have had good players but not Pudenz-type players who take charge when things get tough) plus we really have no depth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree regarding guard play. Since Jaimie Pudenz, the point guard play has been adequate, but probably not as good as the frontcourt. For whatever reason, the same weaknesses have plagued the Sioux women since the 01-02 season--no top-flight point guard, not particularly good on the road, lack of depth and too few 3-point shooters. Obviously these weaknesses haven't been that huge considering the records UND has had, but they have been enough to prevent any Elite 8 appearances for the past few seasons. Next season, I think the overall talent will be good enough so that a Mahlum/Jahner tandem at the point could be good enough to win a national championship, but I think landing a really good point guard recruit might be a key to whether UND can go on another title run a la 97, 98 and 99 over the next 3-4 years.

Unfortunately for SW St., they followed up their nice win over UND by laying an egg in Moorhead last night. It seems crazy that UND beat Moorhead by 35 just one game before losing to SW St. But UND isn't the only team that has been extremely inconsistent in the north central region so far. There just aren't any remotely dominant teams.