SiouxSports.com Forum

UND <.500 NCC?

jimdahl

Tough time to go on the road against UNO, with a current conference record of 2-2. Neither team has looked like they have the last few years, but both are desperate. UNO has a pretty tough run offense, but not much of a passing game.

It's always interesting when a tough run defense goes up against a tough running team. Against a not-so-great UNO defense, hopefully Bowenkamp can bring out last week's "Golden Arm" and hook up with Smith. I suspect turnovers (or the lack thereof) will dictate the winner of this game.

FYI -- UND's last win at UNO was 1995.

The thing I'm most disappointed about in this year's team is the defense. We've done a decent job yardage wise, but there are no big plays. Last year the Sioux defense came up with around 40 turnovers. This year we've only got something like 8 in the first 7 games. It's tough to win consistently in the NCC when you always have to drive 70+ yards to score points.

Hopefully, the team will improve in the last 4 games and we'll have something to build on for next year. The future looks bright with all of the young talent. Using teams like UNC and St. Cloud as examples, often times the difference between an average NCC team and a championship caliber one is a year of experience.

I too have been disappointed with the lack of turnovers caused by the defense, as well as the relatively few sacks. I do take solace in the fact that by my unofficial count, there are approximately 20 to 25 freshman and sophomores getting significant playing time this year. I think players like Mahmoud, Anderson, Alkins, Gagner and many others are going to be stars in the very near future. Plus, as unfortunate as Kelby Klosterman's injury was, the fact that John Bowenkamp is getting so much game experience a year ahead of schedule is a bonus for the next two seasons. I feel the Sioux will be back in the top 1 or 2 teams in the NCC next season, and the odds of that happening are probably much better now that there will be a returning qb with significant game experience.

I can live with one season of 7-4 or 6-5 if it lays the groundwork for another NCC title or two in the near future. We have to remember how spoiled we as UND football fans have been recently. In the past 12 years (since 1990), UND has finished first in the NCC 5 times, second 5 times, and third twice. The third place finishes were the LOWEST during that span.

I can live with one season of 7-4 or 6-5 if it lays the groundwork for another NCC title or two in the near future. We have to remember how spoiled we as UND football fans have been recently. In the past 12 years (since 1990), UND has finished first in the NCC 5 times, second 5 times, and third twice. The third place finishes were the LOWEST during that span.

Call me optimistic, but I think we still stand a chance of #3.

#3 Augustana (3-2) still has to play UND, UNC, and UNO.

#4 UNO (2-2 tied with UND) has to play UND, SDSU, NDSU, Augustana.

UND's destiny is in it's own hands with upcoming games against the two teams we have to overcome.

UND's other two opponents are 0-4 Mankato, and 2-3 USD (wins over NDSU and !Augustana).