SiouxSports.com Forum

Bognar

bigmrg74

Maybe I'm just out of it or missed it because of exams, but what is the deal with this Bognar guy from Canisius?  There's a story I know I'm going to enjoy reading about later I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the Buffalo (NY) paper....

Athlete suspended after arrest

By VANESSA THOMAS

News Staff Reporter

12/14/2004

A Canisius College hockey player was suspended from the team Monday after his arrest Sunday for allegedly exposing himself inside an Elmwood Avenue restaurant, fighting with customers and punching a police officer in the face.

Daniel Bognar, 22, a junior from Guelph, Ont., who plays forward on the team, was charged with felony assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Canisius Athletic Director Timothy J. Dillon said in a statement Monday that Bognar was "suspended from the team indefinitely for violating team rules."

College officials said that an internal investigation of Bognar's conduct is under way and that a decision will be made this week on whether further disciplinary action will be taken.

Bognar is facing the possibility of expulsion from the school and deportation if his student visa is revoked.

"Any strong violator of the school's community standards would result in harsh sanctions," said Cary Anderson, dean of students.

"If a student is found responsible, then there are sanctions that can range anywhere from a warning to suspension to expulsion," Anderson said. "Any person on a student visa who is convicted of a felony could lose their status on a student visa."

Police said the incident began at about 4:30 a.m. inside Jim's Steak-Out, 938 Elmwood Ave.

After exposing himself to a customer, police said, Bognar started fighting with customers. When police arrived, Bognar pushed Officer Obed Casillas and punched him in the face, then continued to push and shove Casillas and Officer Anthony Figueroa, according to police reports. The officers then subdued Bognar and handcuffed him, police said.

According to police reports, Casillas suffered pain, bruising and a swollen left lip and cheek.

So far this season, Bognar, who is listed as 6-foot-4 and 224 pounds, has played in nine of the team's 16 games and has a goal and three assists. He has played 30 games in his three seasons, with a career total of three goals and eight assists.

e-mail: vthomas@buffnews.com