SiouxSports.com Forum

Mini Parise Article

Marty

I was flipping through my ESPN Magazine that I got today and I saw a little article on Zach in there. It just mentions how he is playing well for the Albany River Rats and how he waiting to make his NHL debut. It's a nice little article.

I couldn't find it anywhere on the ESPN website but I have some free time so I'll copy down.

Rink Rat

No one doubts the final destination for Zach Parise will be East Rutherford, N.J.  For now, though, the 20-year old center from Minneapolis has to bide his time in Albany.

Two years ago, the University of North Dakota frosh was eighth in the nation in scoring with 61 points in 39 games.  As a soph, he was All-America and the MVP of the world juniors in Helsinki, where his U.S. team won gold.

Small wonder that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello, who like undersized overachievers (Scott Gomez, John Madden, Brian Rafalski), traded up in the 2003 draft to pick the 5'11", 185-pound Parise 17th.  His team-first attitude and playmaking skills--"He competes every second," says Lou--were a perfect fit for New Jersey.  No surprise there, either: dad J.P., a two time NHL All-Star, was the same sort of player in his 14-year career.  Parise signed a three-year deal with the Devs in March and was eligible for the playoffs, but their first-round loss to Philly delayed his pro debut.

Now the lockout has delayed it further.  But Parise scored eight points in his first eight games with the AHL Albany River Rats, and expectations for him are high.  "Pressure makes me play better," he says.  "I like to be the guy they want out there when the game's on the line."

Wherever that game happens to be. - Lindsay Berra

I have the magazine right here and here is the article word for word...............

Author of article..............ESPN the Magazine's Lindsay Berra

No one doubts the final destination for Zach Parise will be East Rutherford, N,J. For now, though, the 20 year old center from Minneapolis has to bide his time in Albany.

Two years ago, The University of North Dakota frosh was eigth in the nation in scoring with 61 points un 39 games. As a soph, he was All-America and the MVP of the world juniors in Helsinki, where his U.S. team won gold.

Small wonder that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello, who like undersized overachievers (Scott Gomez, John Madden, Brian Rafalski), traded up in the 2003 draft to pick the 5'11", 185-pound Parise 17th. His team-first attitude and paymaking skills-- "He competes every second," says Lou-- were a perfect fit for New Jersey. No suprise there, either: dad J.P., a two time NHL All-Star, was the same sort of player in his 14-year career. Parise signed with the Devs in March and was eligible for the playoffs, but their first-round loss to Philly delayed his pro debut.

Now the lockout has delayed it further. But Parise scored eight points in his first eight games with the AHL Albany River Rats, and expectations for him are high."Pressure makes me play better,"he says "I like to be the gut they want out there when the game's on the line."

Wherever that game happens to be. - Lindsay Berra

UND was also listed in their little note about NHL fans going back to school to watch hockey. The magazine mentions UND whenever they have a chance, but there limited coverage of hockey (when there is a season) is why I am not going to renew my subscription after 4 years.