SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Cross Country - Nationals

siouxrunner

The UND women's cross country team qualified for the nationals this weekend at the North Central Regional meet in Vermillion, SD. The team finished 5th in a field of over 20 teams.

What makes the finish so amazing was the circumstances under which it happened. UND's top runner, who was running in the top 20 at the time, collapsed about 250 meters from the finish line. She struggled to get back to her feet, stumbled, and fell again. She was able to find enough strength and courage to walk the rest of the way to the finish.

Most of the time, when a team's top runner has a poor race, or has medical problems during the race, the team score is dramatically affected.

The Sioux women were able to overcome the loss of their top runner with one of the strongest team performances I've ever seen in any sport. Their captain, Kristin Murch, led the Sioux across the line. They defeated many of the best teams in the country, even without their top runner.

I run on the men's team, and I was able to watch the race in its entirety. It was amazing.

The Sioux travel to Evansville, IN later this month for NCAA's.