SiouxSports.com Forum

1963-1980 and 1987-1997

JESUS,family,rutgers

UND had some solid clubs during that time, especially the mid to late 60s. 1970-78 and 1990-95 can fairly be described as lean periods in Sioux hockey history. Both ended with the arrival of news coaches, John "Gino" Gasparini in 1979 and Dean Blais in 1994. The recent arrival of coach Hakstol is the first time a new coach has taken over the program in good shape since a spate of coaching changes in the 1960s.

I know in a previous message you mentioned the Sioux playing Army or Princeton. It doesn't look like they will play at either any time soon, but if you haven't done so, you should take the opportunity to go to a game at Princeton. Their home, Hobey Baker Rink (also the namesake for hockey's version of the Heisman Trophy) is college hockey's equivalent of Wrigley Field. Every fan should see at least one game there. The place just oozes history, and the hot chocolate is good and very cheap. Roads trips are one of the real joys of college hockey and if you get a chance to see the Sioux on the road, you will see how rabid and passionate Sioux fans are in following their team.

Welcome aboard!

UND had some solid clubs during that time, especially the mid to late 60s. 1970-78 and 1990-95 can fairly be described as lean periods in Sioux hockey history.  Both ended with the arrival of news coaches, John "Gino" Gasparini in 1979 and Dean Blais in 1994.  The recent arrival of coach Hakstol is the first time a new coach has taken over the program in good shape since a spate of coaching changes in the 1960s.

I know in a previous message you mentioned the Sioux playing Army or Princeton.  It doesn't look like they will play at either any time soon, but if you haven't done so, you should take the opportunity to go to a game at Princeton. Their home, Hobey Baker Rink (also the namesake for hockey's version of the Heisman Trophy) is college hockey's equivalent of Wrigley Field. Every fan should see at least one game there.  The place just oozes history, and the hot chocolate is good and very cheap.  Roads trips are one of the real joys of college hockey and if you get a chance to see the Sioux on the road, you will see how rabid and passionate Sioux fans are in following their team.

Welcome aboard!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only college hockey game I have seen in person was at Princeton(I live about two hours away in northern New Jersey and Princeton is in the central part of the state). It kind of reminded me of an old stone church. I am hoping to go up to West Point this year to see Army's new hockey arena. It is right next to Michie Stadium which many people regard as the best place to see a college football game as far as scenery is concerned. If I was not moving the end of the month, I would try to go up to Mass. to see North Dakota play. If North Dakota ends up in the East for the NCAA tournament, I believe I read that a couple sites will also be up in Mass.

The only college hockey game I have seen in person was at Princeton(I live about two hours away in northern New Jersey and Princeton is in the central part of the state). It kind of reminded me of an old stone church. I am hoping to go up to West Point this year to see Army's new hockey arena. It is right next to Michie Stadium which many people regard as the best place to see a college football game as far as scenery is concerned. If I was not moving the end of the month, I would try to go up to Mass. to see North Dakota play. If North Dakota ends up in the East for the NCAA tournament, I believe I read that a couple sites will also be up in Mass.

You're right the east regionals are in Worcester and Amherst. However, if the Sioux play up to expectations, they'll be in one of the west regionals.

You're best chance this year is to visit Boston when the Sioux play BC and Northeastern in a couple weeks.