SiouxSports.com Forum

Uproar in Duluth

choyt3

Anyone noticed the soap opera in Duluth concerning TJ Caig? It seems that he played in an inter-squad scrimmage for the Tri-City Americans (WHL) as part of tryout camp two summers ago.

Some fans are acting like this is the end of the world if he were to be ruled ineligible. I posted on USCHO that this situation had occurred before (here at UND) and the severity of the punishment was not that big of a deal. Remember that Lee Goren played one game in the WHL and Colby Genoway has as well.

The punishment is one year, plus the number of games played the following year. This would mean that, if Caig were to be ruled ineligible, he would miss the remainder of the games this season, plus the games in the fall semester next year, plus one game Spring semester next year. Big deal. It's not like the guy is going to come in and be a world beater right now. The team has won one league game and, except for the win in St. Cloud, is already playing "for next year".

Here's a link to an article mentioning the TJ Caig saga.

http://web.duluthnews.com/content/duluth/2...ts/du_P0117.htm

And, dagies, I agree with you about SCSU needing to mind their own business. Seems like SCSU has proclaimed itself the "police" for the WCHA (and NCAA, for that matter).

Clayton, there may be a difference between Caig's situation and that of Goren or Genoway. According to UMD, Caig never played in a major junior game--not even an exhibition game. The rules are complicated, but we may be comparing apples and oranges.

Personally, I think it's a shame when a young kid goes to a major junior team for a few days, decides it's not for them (or gets cut) and get severely penalized by the NCAA.