SiouxSports.com Forum

Who's next to move up?

Bisonfan1234

Obviously UND and GVSU no longer belong in DII. On off years like these they simply reload, destroy all DII competition, get ranked 1 and 2, and meet in Alabama.

Obviously UND could have a place in the BSC but where would GVSU go? Gateway? OVC? It would be interesting to see them in the Gateway IMO.

Is there any talk of GVSU moving up? Do they have the facilities and financials?

Actaully, now that I think about it, the DII committees, run by the corrupt good ol' boys, put the GLIAC and the NCC in the same reigion didn't they.

They could see that UND and GVSU were probably going to meet in the finals for the next 10 straight years.

It should be another clue for you guys to get out of a currupt DII system.

Unfortunately GVSU and UND are now in the same region, so they can't play each other in 'Bama. If there is one positive to NDSU not being in DII this year, it's that the Northwest region won't be even tougher. It is ridiculous how stacked the region is, especially with how weak the Northeast is. The Sioux and Lakers would both absolutely steamroll through the NE, instead though they have teams like SVSU, SCSU and Northwood. What a load of bull.

I thought I saw somewhere on the GV message board, that they probably wouldn't go DIaa because it would make traveling tough. Don't really know though.

I wouldn't look for GVSU to move up anytime soon. Dispite all of our resent success, we're still sorely lacking in top notch facilities, especially for basketball. Our gym there isn't much better than a high school team. We could work out some deal to play basketball games at a place in Grand Rapids, but thats fairly far from campus, which tends to cut down on the number of students that show up to the games. We could probably get the financial backing here to build an arena close to or on campus. But right now, our admistration looks to be pretty content at staying D2. They may have some plans on the drawing board perhaps, but they look to be way off in the future. Plus, there is also the MAC(mid-major DI-A) here in Michigan. Some of the conference schools are getting picked off due to all the realinement in DI conferences, and several other schools are in danger of having to drop down to DI-AA for football due to low attendence. I have heard some buzz that the MAC itself may just drop down altogether to DI-AA football, but I doubt that will happen all at once. I think rather that slowly, one by one, the NCAA will make them drop down. With a little luck a new DI-AA team will form from these former MAC teams, (plus Wayne State*Detroit* who is looking to move up as well) and would be an inviting conference with about the same travel times as we now currently have.

So far no teams have been forced down to IAA from IA. From what I've heard, the rule is a joke because there are easy ways around it (give tickets away) and it's hardly enforced.

I agree that there are teams that don't belong in IA right now, but certainly NIU, Bowling Green, Miami, and Marshall are not them.

And on top of that, who knows what is going to happen in IA and IAA in the near future. I can see many cases playing out:

- BCS gets their own division

- IAA gets eliminated with schools either dropping down to DII or moving up to IA

- Many of the top teams move up to the non-BCS IA anyway, leaving IAA watered down

- BCS doesn't get their own division

- IAA gets eliminated anyway, same scenario as above

All I know is that something is going to change and soon. The contract with the BCS ends in 2006 for the NCAA.

Those are some other things that are keeping us from jumping up right now as well. Whatever happens with the BCS schools will have a trickle down effect on other divisions as well. Its just that Some schools in D2 right now have the foresight to see this before jumping into unfamiliar water. :):D