SiouxSports.com Forum

Mr. Hockey 2005

The-Zeitz

Jackson -- the North Dakota High School Activities Association should have a list of past ND Mr. Hockey, but I couldn't find the list on their web page. If anyone has this year's State program, they are probably listed in there. Just of the top of my head the last few years:

2004 Jordan McIntyre Grand Forks Central

2003 Kasey Moreland Grand Forks Central

2001 Nate Ziegelmann Grand Forks Red River

1999 Cory McLean Fargo North

1998 Joe Markusen Grafton-Park River

Jackson -- the North Dakota High School Activities Association should have a list of past ND Mr. Hockey, but I couldn't find the list on their web page. If anyone has this year's State program, they are probably listed in there. Just of the top of my head the last few years:

2004 Jordan McIntyre Grand Forks Central

2003 Kasey Moreland Grand Forks Central

2001 Nate Ziegelmann Grand Forks Red River

1999 Cory McLean Fargo North

1998 Joe Markusen Grafton-Park River

Drew sando -2002

brandon askew- 2000

I bealive just a guess though

Tell me a player from the west that should have won this award?

The only players from western North Dakota to ever win the award are Jeremy Asheim from Bismarck (I think), and Tom Philion, from Minot. The east has a lot of good players (more than the west), but there were years when players from the west could have easily won the award. Jon Grubb had something like 76 points and broke Minot High's and I believe the West Region record (maybe even the state record) for points in a season in 1998. That year Minot only had like 5 losses, and even beat Grand Forks Central for the first time in a while. Yet Markusen won the award. When I was a senior in 2001 Nate Ziegelmann won the award, yet Jared Roloff from BHS had a tremendous season, and was the backbone of a BHS team that could have given RR a run for their money in the title game (BHS beat Fargo North earlier that year).

The fact remains that because eastern players play against better competition they will always be given an edge over western players, and I will be very suprised if Aide wins.

Markusen ended up captaining Michigan State, he was easily one of the best D-men to play HS hockey in ND. ND has actually been good at awarding the "best" player with the award. From 96 on every player that won the award, except for Askew has, will, or should (McIntyre & Moreland) play D1 hockey. IMO Askew could easily have played D1 hockey if he wanted to.

As far as Western players, most that are good enough to win the award don't stay around until they graduate. If Massen or Fylling had stayed around they likely would have won the award, but leaving was obviously the best choice for them.

Didn't Peluso from Bismarck win the award? He may have been up the same year as Phillion. If not I'm sure he won it, I believe he holds the all-time scoring record for ND hockey.

Grubb is playing for Wayne state, didn't you see him at the x-mas tourny? He scored a very nice breakaway goal against the Sioux. He is a good player, but Markusen is a step above him IMO.

Edited by jloos

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Matt Stockert from Jamestown win the first Mr. Hockey award in like 1992 or something like that. It was the same year that Darin Erstad was a senior I belive. If I remember correct Jamestown was in the west at that time.

Matt Stockert Jamestown 1991

Tony Gasparini GF Central 1992

Jeremy Asheim Bismarck 1992

Tom Phillion Minot 1993

Jay Panzer Central 1994

Joe Vannett Jamestown 1995

Paul Murphy Red River 1996

Mark Bry Red River 1997

Joe Markusen GPR 1998

Cory Mclean Fargo North 1999

Brandon Askew Fargo South 2000