SiouxSports.com Forum

Top ND High School Teams 04-05

Jack Mickleson

skateshattrick, you just showed us you have no class. I know i'm not the best coach in the state but i am one of the best, also north has always had a great track record of having nice student athletes.

I would have to agree with Capouch on how the teams will end up. Shanley could have a tough time beating whapeton though. If anybody knows the probable starters for shanley please post them.

You are self-proclaiming yourself as "one of best" coaches in the state, but one of your coaching philosophies is:

"It's not worth winning if your can't win big." (From an earlier post).

Hmmmm, something's not adding up here . . . . .

If you are one of the best, why do you coach bantams? Surely you would have been a shoo-in for UND's second assistant position if you applied. :p:lol:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that you are just a touch biased since you are a West Fargo coach. West Fargo has a snowball's chance in hell of finishing ahead of Grafton and GF Central. West Fargo will be battling Shanley, Jamestown and Wahpeton for the lower half. Ryan Griggs really should not talk about the "mental strength" of the north side since every North end A team was horrible last year.

I'm not sure West Fargo will have to put up much of a battle against Jamestown, Whapeton or Shanley.

I had to get into this discussion. I've had the honor to watch the metro teams the last few years. Burgraffs have always had good skating players, that's where it ends. Mentally they just aren't the best. Here on the North side we focus more on the mental aspect of hockey. I coach bantams and i love it. It's not worth winning if your can't win big.

You claim that I don't have class after this earlier post?? You are a bantam A coach, and have not had much success. You got the job only after Ken Astrup was chased by a few parents. If you are going to take shots at the Burggrafs, please expect some back.

At least the Burgraffs have pros show up at their camps and have articles written about them. See www.chicagoblackhawks.com/team/index.cfm?cont_id+197034. There is another article in the New York papers about Hunter, who nearly got last year's rookie of the year. He credits his success to the Burggrafs. Please at least do a better job of trying to disguise the fact that you don't like Frank Burggraf or are jealous of his success. To claim that you are a better coach is laughable.

skateshattrick, you just showed us you have no class. I know i'm not the best coach in the state but i am one of the best, also north has always had a great track record of having nice student athletes.

I would have to agree with Capouch on how the teams will end up. Shanley could have a tough time beating whapeton though. If anybody knows the probable starters for shanley please post them.

I'm gone for a week and the board has been infested by trolls. Sorry bud, but claiming you're one of the best coaches in the state, your winning big comment and saying skates has no class = 0 credibility for you.

I coached youth hockey for 5 years in Fargo and found the vast majority of kids to be "good" kids. As they got older, the Raider kids and parents became unbearable. The coaching system at North is terrible, there is no discipline, the players run the show. It has been that way since the days of Arf. The Raiders organization is run by overzealous parents that fight for board positions so Johnny can be on the A team. Unfortunately the Flyers and Patriots have gone through similar problems. Why do you think there are so many new teams in the area? IMO the only way youth hockey will get better in Fargo is if the different organizations work together and set up a program similar to Moorhead. Or even what GF used to be like (look what the Red Army team did to GF hockey).

Jloos I know what your saying the parents trying to get on the board to get their kids on the almighty A team. All throughtout the 3 fargo youth programs and the one west fargo program thier has always been parents like that. I dont know if their is a way to change that.

I'm gone for a week and the board has been infested by trolls. Sorry bud, but claiming you're one of the best coaches in the state, your winning big comment and saying skates has no class = 0 credibility for you.

I coached youth hockey for 5 years in Fargo and found the vast majority of kids to be "good" kids. As they got older, the Raider kids and parents became unbearable. The coaching system at North is terrible, there is no discipline, the players run the show. It has been that way since the days of Arf. The Raiders organization is run by overzealous parents that fight for board positions so Johnny can be on the A team. Unfortunately the Flyers and Patriots have gone through similar problems. Why do you think there are so many new teams in the area? IMO the only way youth hockey will get better in Fargo is if the different organizations work together and set up a program similar to Moorhead. Or even what GF used to be like (look what the Red Army team did to GF hockey).

I'm going to have to agree with Loos on this one. You people are ruining this site. I can't believe that you would try to bash the burgraff's they are nice people and top notch skating instructors. I would like to give my predictions for the up coming hockey season.

East Region

1. South

2. Red river

3. G/P/R

4. North

5. GFC

6. West Fargo

7.Shanley

8.Jamestown

9.Whapeton

Top 5 in state

1.South

2.Red River

3. Bismarck High

4.G/P/R

5. Minot

Now please tell us what you think it's going to be.

i'm not sure that i have ever seen a west fargo team (youth hockey or hs) that has led me to believe that it was directed by one of the best coaches in the state (let alone a good coach). i agree with the comment about the fargo clubs (raiders, flyers) being nothing more than a bickering bunch. however, they have had much success. until there is reform in the organizations, i don't think they will consistently compete with gf. gf has a good program in that it is run by the park district, not an evil empire of greedy, child pushing parents who want to live their dreams through johnny and have them on the ice all night because they can do it because they're on the board and they are paying their coaches. obviously there is still enough interest in the fargo clubs because they are still alive and competitive, but look at the success of the gf youth teams over the years (national bantam titles, countless state titles...). these are the hs teams i think will go to state this year.

east

gfrr

south

gfc

gpr

west

minot

bhs

hazen

century

i think it will be hard for one of the gf teams to not win state. 3-peat for gfc would be sweet.

until there is reform in the organizations, i don't think they will consistently compete with gf. gf has a good program in that it is run by the park district, not an evil empire of greedy, child pushing parents who want to live their dreams through johnny and have them on the ice all night because they can do it because they're on the board and they are paying their coaches. obviously there is still enough interest in the fargo clubs because they are still alive and competitive, but look at the success of the gf youth teams over the years (national bantam titles, countless state titles...). these are the hs teams i think will go to state this year.for gfc would be sweet.

A group of parents decided the GF Park district was not good enough for their kids. At least at the PW level they had a AAA team called the Red Army Faction.

Here is the results from the PW A league last year. GF could only get together one A team and I would say they had a poor season. You would think the parents could get over their ego's and realize this is not the way to go.

GRAFTON 10 0 0 20

DEVILS LAKE 8 2 0 16

MINOT 6 4 0 12

WILLISTON 4 6 0 8

HAZEN/BEULAH 2 8 0 4

GRAND FORKS SUGARKINGS 0 10 0 0

i'm not sure that i have ever seen a west fargo team (youth hockey or hs) that has led me to believe that it was directed by one of the best coaches in the state (let alone a good coach). i agree with the comment about the fargo clubs (raiders, flyers) being nothing more than a bickering bunch. however, they have had much success. until there is reform in the organizations, i don't think they will consistently compete with gf. gf has a good program in that it is run by the park district, not an evil empire of greedy, child pushing parents who want to live their dreams through johnny and have them on the ice all night because they can do it because they're on the board and they are paying their coaches. obviously there is still enough interest in the fargo clubs because they are still alive and competitive, but look at the success of the gf youth teams over the years (national bantam titles, countless state titles...). these are the hs teams i think will go to state this year.

east

gfrr

south

gfc

gpr

west

minot

bhs

hazen

century

i think it will be hard for one of the gf teams to not win state. 3-peat for gfc would be sweet.

You have some good points about Fargo. However, keep in mind that Moorhead, which probably has one of the best programs in Minnesota, is also a private run organization (e.g., parents). The rink, MYHA, is privately owned and funded. The park district has no control over any hockey in Moorhead. I think the problem that Fargo has is not that it is privately-run, but rather, there are too many organizations. Moorhead has one--Moorhead Youth Hockey Assn. (MYHA). Fargo has the Flyers, Raiders, Patriots, Grizzlies, and until recently, even the Park Board at Mites and Termites. Thus, there is no consistency in coaching nor do all the kids play together.

With all due respect to Grand Forks, which has a GREAT program, Moorhead is probably the envy of everyone outside of a few in the Twin Cities. If you thought Moorhead was good last year (2nd in State), watch out for this year's team. They have 5-6 legitimate D1 players on that team. Brian Lee and Chris Vandevelde are headed to UND; Matt Becker is being courted by Air Force, and may get a shot elsewhere; Jon Ammerman is one of the top defensemen in Minnesota, and has been recruited by UMD, UM and UND; Corey Loos, Brent Barta and Corey Johnson will also get a chance to play D1 after a year or 2 of juniors. I'm sure I'm missing some, but they are very good.

east

gfrr

south

gfc

gpr

west

minot

bhs

hazen

century

I liked your predictions but i'd like to voice a few more opinions.

GFRR will be very strong there only ?'s are goaltending and good skating defencemen. With Kuntz and Schaefer leading the offensive attack they could be very dangerous. Bottom line- The Riders are going to put up alot of points if they are going to beat the potentially high scoring teams like G/P/R and South.

GFC could struggle defencivly also with jake marto the only steddy defencemen and hes not exactly known for his defence. Marto will probably end up leading the charge for them on offense followed by a very shifty player in jake stadstad. Goaltending could also be a problem early after losing both of there varsity goalies to graduation. GFC although they have the tradition and are always a threat. the loss of there graduates and some notable departures. Bottom Line -Marto will need to carry them if they plan on making a title shot.

G/P/R has the best first line in the state, Tom Campbell, Paul Campbell and more then likly john ostenrude. They could also be strong in net if they play kringstad.

but the problems for G/P/R are this, they have suspect defencemen, they also won't have the depth that they've had in recent years. Bottom Line they are always a threat to make a run.

North For the first time in a while North could have many seniors on their squad. They have graduated a combined total of 7 seniors or less in the last 2 seasons. How much these seniors will do is a big ?. They will probably score alot of goals, but with halstonson gone, they are putting a very large load on Okland and Bjoralt.

Bottom line North will go as far as okland can carry them, which seems to be a long way.

South South lost alot of seniors, but they have a good nucleus back. South has very solid goltending in Mclean and Diechert, also they have a good group of forwards Weisgarber and Dalbey both had 30+ points last year. South's in the same boat as many other teams with a question mark at defence. Luecke is the only true returning defencemen, but hes already got 3 years of varsity experiance. Bottom line south could be dangerous down the stretch if they can fill in the defensive holes.

Shanley Shanley lost alot from last year. They could be very shaky early in the season. I think it all starts with their goaltending. The probable starter Joe Bottrell had a shaky 10.00 GAA last year and with little on defence it looks like some games could get out of hand. Bottom line the burgraffs have their work cut out for them.

West Fargo WF lost it's top five point getters from last year and with very weak defencmen, they will most likely get shelled in many games. Bottom line they would need a miracle to make the state tournement.

Jamestown and Whapeton Bottom line it's going to be a long season.

Well there are my opinions. please offer rebutle.

No one cares if you don't like this topic, if you don't like it don't read it but if you read it then dont bash it. :lol:

One can't possibly decide whether they like the topic until they have read the thread - that is simple logic. If someone then decides they don't like it, they certainly have the right to voice their opinion much like you have voiced yours.

I guess someone could say to you, if you don't like other people's posts, don't read them, but that makes no sense - you have to read them first before deciding. However, you read driscol's post and didn't like it, yet you still posted a reply. Perhaps you should take your own advice and save your glare for someone who cares.

If I remember correctly this board is for Sioux sports, not high school sports. The next you thing you know, we'll be discussing Lydell Nickons being up for player of the year in junior high football next year for South Junior High.

You are obviously not hearing me. My initial premise was, and still is, that South is loaded with talent. They had great talent last year, and they should be even better this year and next year. In my opinion, South is much deeper and more talented than Red River, probably the next most talented team. Central has Marto, but not much else. Grafton has the Campbell cousins, but not much else. My point is that if Wilson does not win with this group, there is something wrong. I know Dean well, I like him and respect him, and I think that he is a good coach. However, his teams have underachieved. He has to take some of the blame because of the style of play that he has used in the past. He even played dump-and-chase when he had Askew and Hunter, one of the most talented groups ever to come out of Fargo. Last year, he did get away from that some, which is probably a reflection of the talent.

South and Shanley are not even comparable. Shanley only had a few kids that would have even skated varsity for South last year. It will be worse this year because the vast majority of the Flyer and Raider kids are going to South and North. Yet, despite that lack of talent, Shanley almost beat South last year in Regionals despite several very questionable calls. Frank Burggraf has coached teams (Puckhogs) that did very well in Minnesota tournaments. Ask some of his former players like Tyler McGurra (former South player) and Tanner Anderson (former Flyer and West Fargo player) what they think of Frank's coaching. Tyler is at the Burggraf camp now getting ready for Harvard next year. Additionally, Tim Graveline was a former Flyer coach of Askew, Hunter etc. that lost one game as Flyer squirts. I'm sure you were not aware of that.

Tim Graveline and Frank Burggraf are great coaches and know a lot more about hockey than most around here. Dean played football at UND, not hockey. Frank and his brother played for UND and won 2 national championships. His mom, Nancy, developed the skating program that is still used at UND. Ask Dean Blais if they know what they are doing. Tim played college hockey for NDSU and his brother played for Wisconsin. With all due respect, if you give them the talent that is at South, they would win easily.

If you want to praise Dean Wilson, fine. I have no problem with that. However, do not criticize Frank and Tim when you know nothing about them and your opinions and judgment are clouded by the fact that you bleed Fargo South colors and you have no objectivity. :p

Now hold on a second here. You say Frank ''played" for UND and won two national championships? Did he "play" or ride the pine. Now let's be honest with ourselves. The stats will further strengthen my point. Also Tim's brother played at Wisconsin. Is he coaching at Shanley?

Note: I went to many Shanley games and I love the glass smash that Frank does with his foot. It's really classy.

Now hold on a second here. You say Frank ''played" for UND and won two national championships? Did he "play" or ride the pine. Now let's be honest with ourselves. The stats will further strengthen my point. Also Tim's brother played at Wisconsin. Is he coaching at Shanley?

He played in 130 games and had 16 goals, 29 assists for 45 points. He also had 47 penalties for 94 pm's. It would seem to me that he did play a fairly regular shift. He did have two penalties during the '80 championship game so obviously he was getting ice time during big games.

His numbers are very similar to Peter Armbrust's who played 154 games and had 21 goals and 29 assists for 50 points, with 47 penalties for 121 penalty minutes.

Anybody who has watched Sioux hockey of late knows that Armbrust, although being a career fourth liner, played regularly and even captained the team.

Besides they are two members of a very exclusive group that won two national championships while at UND.

The stats do further strengthen the point that you don't know what you are talking about. :p:lol::)

He played in 130 games and had 16 goals, 29 assists for 45 points. He also had 47 penalties for 94 pm's. It would seem to me that he did play a fairly regular shift. He did have two penalties during the '80 championship game so obviously he was getting ice time during big games.

His numbers are very similar to Peter Armbrust's who played 154 games and had 21 goals and 29 assists for 50 points, with 47 penalties for 121 penalty minutes.

Anybody who has watched Sioux hockey of late knows that Armbrust, although being a career fourth liner, played regularly and even captained the team.

Besides they are two members of a very exclusive group that won two national championships while at UND.

The stats do further strengthen the point that you don't know what you are talking about. :p:lol::)

Schmidt just stop already.

this post is to those of you out there who belive Burgraff skating skills is all that its cracked up to be. well its not. its a joke. sure you can say brehmer improved greatly by his time at burgraff, but i can gaurentee you this, had luke went to a skating specific camp in MN or bismarck ( they usually only hit the capital in ND) he would have been twice the skater that he is now. Burgraff does not focus on one specific area of improvement, i know, i've been there. so when all is said and done, sure the pros may train there, thats because its a system set up for someone of that nature. for a young player coming into the burgraff camp, they are setting themselves up for trouble. a kid with skating troubles wont get the advice he needs to becoming a better skater. they dont know enough, and if they do there too lazy to teach it :lol:

this post is to those of you out there who belive Burgraff skating skills is all that its cracked up to be. well its not.  its a joke.  sure you can say brehmer improved greatly by his time at burgraff, but i can gaurentee you this, had luke went to a skating specific camp in MN or bismarck ( they usually only hit the capital in ND) he would have been twice the skater that he is now.  Burgraff does not focus on one specific area of improvement, i know, i've been there. so when all is said and done, sure the pros may train there, thats because its a system set up for someone of that nature.  for a young player coming into the burgraff camp, they are setting themselves up for trouble.  a kid with skating troubles wont get the advice he needs to becoming a better skater. they dont know enough, and if they do there too lazy to teach it :lol:

you gonna recite us a poem there? EASY