SiouxSports.com Forum

Brian Kilburg

Bubz

Brian Kilburg Mendota Heights, MN "D" 5/10/84 6'-3" 218lbs

03/04

5g, 13a, 18pts, +33, 138 pim

Has UND show any intrest in this kid?

Just looking back through some old recruiting posts, I don't see his name anywhere.

He could play another year of juniors, but I think he's more than ready now. Great on open ice checks. Can handle the puck real well. Great work ethic.

Coach Littler made him a machine.

pointstreak.com

He doesn't look like a fighter.

Doesn't look like a fighter?"

I'm not sure what a fighter looks like, other than the absence of a few front teeth, but I'm hoping the Sioux recruitment techniques are more sophisticated than viewing a few pictures and drawing conclusions from them.

Beyond that is fighting truly a necessary skill in the college game anyway?

Do we really want our guys to be suspended for a game or two every couple of weeks because they exercised their right to fight?

He sounds like a good player but what's up with that -15 in '02-'03? He sounds like a monster at 6'3" but his photo makes him looks like a mama's boy. He doesn't look like a fighter.

He doesn't need to be a fighter. Nor has he ever backed down from one the 60+ games I've seen him play.

This kid throws the most viscious checks I've seen in juniors for a long time. A LONG time.

Why would the Sioux want some goon or cementhead anyways?

I'll leave it at this. This kid has skill, vision, and the physical makeup for not only D-1 but the NHL.

I know I'm new on this board and it's customary to rip newbies. So I'll take my bashings. But keep your eyes and ears open on this one. He'll end up somewhere. I'm just hoping he could wear green in 04 or 05.

Mama's boy!?!?! ;)

:p hardly

Doesn't look like a fighter?"

I'm not sure what a fighter looks like, other than the absence of a few front teeth, but I'm hoping the Sioux recruitment techniques are more sophisticated than viewing a few pictures and drawing conclusions from them.

Beyond that is fighting truly a necessary skill in the college game anyway?

Do we really want our guys to be suspended for a game or two every couple of weeks because they exercised their right to fight?

oh oh

Since I am a real talent scout, I'll ask this question: How mobile is he? It's great to be big and hit hard but what if you can't either get in position to hit someone or can't catch them?

If he's big, aggressive, can skate, and at least not panic with the puck he may be a prospect.

Pretty mobile for his size. Can move the puck up the ice and is a smart player. He's really matured into his role this year.

I'm no talent scout either, but according to his coach, he's got alot of college interest and could really pick where he wants to go. I'm thinking UMD, but no confirms yet.

About the '-15 to +33' Let's just say we had alot coaching problems last season. 3 years at 27 wins. Change of coach and they went to 43 wins.

I was just saying what I thought he looked like. I wasn't 100% serious when I was talking about him. Any player who is 6'3" and 218 probably isn't a wimp. I would love to have him play for the Sioux.

Having a fighter on your hockey team is always a plus though.

Pretty mobile for his size. Can move the puck up the ice and is a smart player. He's really matured into his role this year.

I'm no talent scout either, but according to his coach, he's got alot of college interest and could really pick where he wants to go. I'm thinking UMD, but no confirms yet.

About the '-15 to +33' Let's just say we had alot coaching problems last season. 3 years at 27 wins. Change of coach and they went to 43 wins.

I am no scout or expert, but I saw Tri-City play a couple of games each of the past two years and here are my thoughts. Last year, I didn't notice him at all. This year I did. He logged a ton of ice time and was very solid. Seemed mobile and good with the puck, but I wouldn't project him to add much offense in college; he struck me as a stay-at-home defenseman. Plays with a mean streak and absolutely owned the front of the net. Even though they had some coaching issues last year he was still very near the bottom of the team in plus/minus, but he improved a lot this year. Overall, he would be a good catch for any school -- I thought he played better than this year than Beaverson, but I only saw each guy twice.

It's true. Looking at pictures replaced the dart-board method a couple years ago. :p

Besides, why should the coaches ever leave Grand Forks to scout when the "the building" does all the recruiting for them? ;):D