SiouxSports.com Forum

Thank you Engelstad Family

Hayduke

Bjorkman (sure never led us to a Natty) was the coach in my college years. As students, we vigorously cheered on the SIOUX in the 3,800 seat Barn. Football and basketball programs (with larger venues) had more success and were well attended, with me included. The cold barn was hampering recruiting and teams grumbled about making trips to GF. The concern of being forced out of the prestigious Division I NCAA had UND engaged in fund raising for a new home. In 1972 the Winter Sports Center was built. We would walk from the Fieldhouse after the basketball game and show up at the hockey game toward end of 1st period, because we could and because there was room. Wow, a 6000 seat heated facility, one of college best rinks!!!. Many games were close to full and for some popular games we (students) would stand outside in line for 2 hours prior.  I went to the Ag School men's basketball game this last winter @theBetty with my 5th grade grandson. Sioux led the whole game, except till the end. After the game as we were walking outside, my son said "grandpa, that game was intense".  Everybody walking around us just laughed and I knew that UND had another fan. Point here, IMO, when I was in college, we had some intense hockey games with Rube and that helped grow our fan base, enrollment was also growing. Many students didn't know much about hockey on their day 1 at the U, but learned the game and became great supporters of the program. When I look around at the people who show up for the games at The Ralph and afar, I can see many who must of been around in those lean years. Yet at that time, there was still growth in many aspects of the program. So, I'm just giving Rube some credit, it took a lot of good people and a lot hard work and another arena to build this program. There has been a lot written and said lately about the last 20 years of UND hockey. I can't even begin to explain how appreciative I am of where we are today. Just imagine the challanges ahead for those schools pondering starting hockey.

• Upvote 1