SiouxSports.com Forum

sign ideas for the X

YaneA

A couple of suggestions

I know we are the "home" team

but without banners it doesn't feel right.

This could stand to be shortened...

or

What, no banners!!!

Where are we, Duluth???

Have you been to The X? They have a banner for every stinking NHL team! You might have to say "What? No Championship banners?" or something to that effect. Otherwise it's not really specific.

I hate to be picky but you've got to think about these things. Good idea though.

Do the Ralph/Excel one. That really made me laugh. I have a serious question though. A couple of years ago we went with some friends and they had a son in a wheelchair. He had a UND flag on the back and we had some signs. They took it all away from us stating that you could not have signs at tournaments. I have not tried since then to bring them in to the Excel/Target Center... Has the policy changed? I hate to see you do all the work only to have them taken away.

Have you been to The X? They have a banner for every stinking NHL team! You might have to say "What? No Championship banners?" or something to that effect. Otherwise it's not really specific.

Gee thanks, I was trying to make it shorter... :glare:

But a fair point...

I hope they let you bring the signs. I felt so bad for that little boy when they took his signs but even worse when they took his flag. We had so many problems with the Target center that year. They wouldn't let us bring the little guy down to our first row seats - they took his stuff, his Dad finally picked him up and ran down the steps when they weren't looking so we could sit in our seats but never did get his stuff back. Pretty tacky....

This is the answer I got from the Xcel:

"Signs brought into Xcel Energy Center cannot be larger than the torso of the

person holding it. Signs cannot block the view of anyone beside or behind

you."

Does the torso start at the shoulder and would its width include arms extended out to the side? Otherwise we may be in trouble because the posters measure 22 x 27 and I don't have very broad shoulders. This sounds like size discrimination to me since Tech's John Scott could hold any of the posters but his teammate Pittis could not.

I pulled some dusty ol' signs out of the archives to take to the X. For some reason I had a lot that bash the Gophers, which I figure, at the very least, can be used for the Duluth-Minne semi. Maybe I should make one that says, "You Can't Handle Duluth!--Jack Nicholson in 'A Few Good Men'" It's hard to hate any team that can beat the Gophers.

I have the "Crappie/Crappy" sign, "Pried-off-Ice," "Minnesota: The Sorry State of Gopher Hockey," "Potulneys: Call 1-800-JOIN-UND (Tutors Are Standing By)," "Irmen: Yes, Your Credits Transfer (signed) UND Admissions," "Foil Up; Kick Rodent Butt," "R-Zach Beats I-saac". I'll make one for CC & AA, to cover the possibilities. Probably, "Seawolf:The Other Dead Meat" and "Beat the Tigers (signed) Siegfried & Roy." If I can find appropriate graphics, I was thinking about a sign that contrasts Parise & Fournier. It would be headed, "Game Plans" and on the Parise side it would say "Run the Table" with a pool table and billiard balls labelled "Final 5" "Regional" and "Frozen 4." On Fournier's side, it would say "Run TO the Table" and be illustrated with a dining table loaded with food.

Any preferences from the ideas previously posted? Be quick about it, please, not much time left.

Last chance! What signs would you like to see at the X? If you'll be there and will be willing to hold up a sign and have a suitably sized torso (see foregoing discussion of X sign policy), tell me how to find you Friday afternoon.

WPoS

The group in 115 was myself and a group of friends. YaneA had left three signs for us and the rest were our own. Everyone had a pretty good time (other than that most unfortunate outcome)...

We had a couple of additional sigs that read:

"Vanek: saving energy for the NHL"

"Go'fer Lo'fer #26"

and

"Briggs: He's no Hauser"

Someone else brought us some Letters that made out M-E-D-I-O-C-E-R sp? That were used with the rouser...

All in all it was a great time. My only question is how is Briggs tourney MVP? I understand giving it to a Gopher but Briggs was terrible. King should have been on the all tournment team.

Siouxnami:

I was behind the net where the Sioux shot twice & could barely read the signs you had from that distance though I saw you had a bunch. I did recognize the Crappie/Crappy one and the "Potulnys : Call 1-800-JOIN-UND (Tutors are Standing By)." Some Gopher fans standing behind me Saturday night thought the "Irmen: Yes, Your Credits Transfer" sign was pretty funny but of course they turned obnoxious once the game actually got under way.

I had zero problem with security either day (REA are you listening?). They didn't bother to read any of them nor question me about their content. On Friday, the guy said, "You've got signs?" And I said, "Yep, no larger than the torso of the person holding them; will not obstruct view." He laughed and waved me in. Both days, the cameraman stationed behind the net took a shot of each sign I had (to store for bumpers or something?) and Saturday night said, "When the Sioux score, I'm coming to you for the 'Sioux Xcel at Winning' sign." I noticed when I rewound the tape at home that that one made the broadcast.

Were there any pro-Gopher signs or don't they do that?